Are OneCare Programmer's Beginner's At Programming? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Having been in the field for over 20 years; I'm just curious if something has changed in the way programmer's update their user's computers.  What I find curious is that the OneCare programmer's obviously do not test their updates before pushing them down to tens of thousands of user's. 

Folks, this is NOT the way to keep folks LOYAL to your product.  Almost, without exception, whenever a large update is done; the next day the community boards are loaded with people who are complaining about you folks screwing up their computers.  I now fall into that category.  I'm just curious if you folks acutally do any type of testing of your updates before you push them down?  What about people whose computer's you screw up that do not know about the community boards.  I now know why you do not post a tech support telephone number, even for those of us that are loyal paying customers, your call center would be slammed with calls due to your inability to do your job. 

One idea I have is that maybe it will take a small class action lawsuit against Microsoft for your folks damaging a user's computer to get your attention.  I hope it will not come to that; however since you folks have nicely screwed up my computer; I'm now in the mindset of doing just that very thing.  Maybe if it cost Microsoft some money for your incompetence, than maybe that may get your attention.

These are things you may wish to think about before you push now another update before testing it.  Obviously this IS NOT rocket science.

Get with the program folks.

Mark

P.S. For those who need the One Care Support Number due to the programmer's screw up.  It is [removed].  What I do find laughable is the first words out of the Indian technician's mouth 'What kind of computer do you have, oh a Dell, you need to call them.'  And this is what OneCare calls support for those of us who paid for this service.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 7:24 PM

All replies

• If you think Microsoft's techsupport is bad, take a look at Symantec, they charge you for each techsupport call that may or may not help, and then the faq file is virtually non existant, and if the program works, it works good for awhile and then Symantec's software will screw up, at times, by quarantining it's own key files, claiming they're infected with a virus, then will give you a message to uninstall and reinstall the program, and then, I tried it again recently, the friggin NAV 2008 program, couldn't even sync up with the Symantec Live Update servers, and kept giving me a message that the signatures were out of date, and to run liveupdate, when the signatures were already up to date.

Microsoft acquired this antivirus and antispyware technology a couple of years ago from two seperate companies. The antispyware technology comes from the former Giant Antispyware company, and the AV tech they got when they bought an AV country in eastern Europe, and moved it all to the U.S. like two or three years ago.

I'm in the process of looking at other internet security and av packages.

I'm starting to wonder if Microsoft even cares about fixing bugs and putting out a quality piece of software.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 8:51 PM
  • I know what you mean.  I used Giant's Spam Inspector and loved it.  This was one of the primary reasons I began using LOC and was impressed with the way they did things.  What has begone a disappointment to me is that these kids are pushing out updates to software without testing them and causing user's untold headaches.  What they do not realize is that this is a really good way to lose customer loyalty.  All you have to do is to look back to some of Microsoft's other failures.  Customer's speak with their dollars.

When Microsoft came out with their Windows Home Server, I actually took a look at it for myself and several friends.  But LOC has decided not to support the Windows Home Server platform, even though they and LOC are aimed at the same primary market 'the home user'.  Microsoft is beginning to see the beginning of a trend and that's why they're trying to buy Yahoo, because their loyal customer's are tired of them not caring and are beginning to look at other applications like Google and AVG and Avast as solutions to their problems.

What's sad it that I have had a lot of faith in Microsoft over the year's and they have just gotten to big to care anymore about their customers; and that is unfortunate.  In a couple of years they'll wake up and see that Google has plundered the Office and hotmail base; and that AVG has plundered their AV market. 

If I'm frustrated and I'm a professional IT person; imagine what  a novice (who was told LOC would run itself) must be going through.  Like you, I'm looking at other AV options and will probably pull away from LOC and give it to someone I don't like to much.  I just don't have the time or inclination to keep dealing with the LOC programmer's pushing out updates that haven't been tested and screws up my machine.

That's just my two cents for what it's worth.

Mark

Sunday, February 3, 2008 10:16 PM
  • I'm not gonna make it a secret, I'm looking at McAfee, Trend Micro, ESET and Panda for an internet security package, and will cough up for a two or three computer license when I do.

I can't even redownload the minor update, that was pushed to me yesterday, and put it to the test, as after the update, I lost my connection to the update server until late last night, after I uninstalled and reinstalled Live OneCare.

I'm losing faith in OneCare. Version 1.6 was good and worked without causing me any problems, but version 2.0, sadly went down hill real fast, after it came out.

What would be nice is to hear from a mod, or one the OneCare programmers who posts occasionally on all of these recent update issues, but no, they're conviently absent , which doesn't sit too well with me. This just goes to show, that all they worship, pretty much, is the God Of Money, Payola.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 11:42 PM
  •  Nightowl224 wrote:

What would be nice is to hear from a mod, or one the OneCare programmers who posts occasionally on all of these recent update issues, but no, they're conviently absent , which doesn't sit too well with me. This just goes to show, that all they worship, pretty much, is the God Of Money, Payola.

Speaking for myself only, Nightowl224, I try to stay away from the forum on the weekend to allow myself time to recharge.

I am not happy with the way that the 2.0 update happened starting last November. Rest assured that complaints are heard and taken seriously. I hope to be meeting with members of the team in Redmond when I am attending the MVP Summit and you can be sure that I'll be expressing my concerns in person.

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:27 PM
  • Mark, all updates go through rigorous testing before release. Updates are tested internally and then released to a controlled environment of beta testers before release to the general public.

Every update carries with it a bit of risk. Major updates like the 1.6 to 2.0 update can be very risky as you can never test all variations of services and programs that are running and installed on an infinite variety of hardware that runs Windows.

I need to remove the support number from your post as it is only valid for use by paid subscribers.

If you can provide the support case ID for your call, I'd like to report that to management as that response, sending you to Dell, was totally inappropriate, in my opinion.

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:31 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for the reply.  The case number I was given was 1057657847.  You're right it was inappropriate for me to be sent to Dell.  This has nothing to do with the Operating System or its operation.  I've been very disappointed with the way that not only the One Care updates have come down; but the general overall appearance of uncaring on the part of the One Care Team and it's technical support department.

Working for a computer manufacturer, I see first hand how Microsoft is beginning to not take care of their customer's needs. Having used One Care since it came out with version 1.5, I'm sadly disappointed.  As of this morning, I turned this disappointment into action and changed my computer's and Windows Home Server protection over to Avast. 

Maybe as the One Care team begins losing loyal customers like me due to either 1) indifference to our needs (i.e., not supporting Windows Home Server, which we've been asking for forever); and 2) not supporting the product overall; they will eventually put themselves out of business. 

I've sold many copies of One Care not only by word of mouth, but in my position in Sales.  That being said, I've now trashed my copy of One Care and gone to Avast, and as friends and others I come into contact with needs to have true anti-virus protection with proper support; I will be forwarding them off to Avast.

Maybe Microsoft will learn with One Care as they are now learning with Office.  Office is now losing it's share of the market to Google and thus attempting a hostile attempt takeover of Yahoo.  Maybe if they focused on customer service and taking care of their customer's and offering a sound product for a reasonable price, and listening to their customers; they wouldn't eventually lose market share to their competitors.

Good luck One Care on solving your problems; I for one am heading off to Avast who listen to their customers.  Call me back when you support Windows Home Server (which is a Microsoft product), and support your customers; and I'll CONSIDER coming back.

Regards,

Mark

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:27 AM
  • Thank you for the case number and your reply. I like Avast very much, but have not used on on WHS yet. I still recommend Avast to many users who balk at paying for protection.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:02 PM
  • I really don 't balk at paying for protection.  I PAID for One Care and didn't get support; and PAID for AVAST and have gotten the support I PAID for.

:-)

Hopefully the One Care Team will catch on, but I don't think so. 

Mark

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 3:59 AM
  •  Mark Beasley wrote:
    I really don 't balk at paying for protection.  I PAID for One Care and didn't get support; and PAID for AVAST and have gotten the support I PAID for.

:-)

Hopefully the One Care Team will catch on, but I don't think so. 

Mark

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't want to pay for protection - sorry if you took it that way. I understand your reasons for dropping OneCare.

And I, too, hope that OneCare and OneCare support continues to improve. There are many happy users and many good experiences with support, but I hate reading about the bad experiences.

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:12 AM