none
SyncFrame RRS feed

• Question

• I have an elementary question on how to setup Synch Framework. I posted in the wrong forum and want to repeat it briefly since nobody transferred it here.

I've got two Sql Serve Entr Ed on two almost identical Win 7 machines LAN connected that need to be synchronized. There are about 20 databases. A few need unidirectional synchronisation from machine A to machine B. One needs either a bidirectional or unidirectional but in the opposite direction synchronization, I haven't decided yet.

I've got as far as opening Sync Center (previously downloaded and installed) but I am not sure how to declare shares on Sql Servers. Do I have to share databases (located on three external HDs: Data, Log, Backup) and C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn folder or what?

A guy at the other forum said that no folders are involved but that does not sound right. I need confirmation.

In short which files shall I make available offline? I played with the Sync center for a while, read all help windows (html) but could not figure out which files to make available offline. It is all in generalities, no specific examples are given.

So, please enlighten.

Thanks.

AlexB - Win_7 Pro64, SqlSer64 WinSer64
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Alex,

I can understand why it would seem to make sense that Sync Center and the Sync Framework would be related.  As it turns out they are not.  Sync Center is a UI integrated into Windows for controlling some (but not all) synchronization applications that happen on a Windows Machine.  In order for sync applications to expose themselves through Sync Center they need to create a plugin that is specific to that user experience.  You can read more about Sync Center here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369140(VS.85).aspx.

For the scenario you describe at the top of the thread, I would agree with Dong.  Rather than replicating the entire SQL Server file you should consider replicating the individual rows in SQL Server.  If you want to write your own application to do that the Sync Framework is definitely a great option for that.  If on the other hand you would prefer just to configure the synchronization but use some built in user experience I suggest you look at SQL Server replication and configuration through SQL Server Management Studio.  Here are some resources to help you get started with SSMS and replication: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb500351.aspx.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

-Mike

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:12 PM

All replies

• Another question: do I have to setup Sync Framework on both machines or only on one?
    Monday, May 10, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Is anybody alive in this forum?
    Monday, May 10, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Hi Alex,

From my understanding of your scenario, your want to keep multiple dbs in sync between two machines. 

One of the solution is to develop sync app build on top of sync framework platform. Good introduction and setup details for the same is at the link below:

Sync Framework is a comprehensive synchronization platform that enables collaboration and offline access for applications, services, and devices. Sync Framework features technologies and tools that enable roaming, data sharing, and taking data offline.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726002(v=SQL.105).aspx

thanks

Jandeep

jandeepc
    Monday, May 10, 2010 6:15 PM
  • You guys all avoid my direct question. There is this GUI. What shall I do about it? I can develop and application, I alrady found some classes but what about the GUI: The Sync Center?

I've seen this link before and I have it in my DB.

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:20 PM
  • One more question. Do I have to create a specialized application to handle sychronization or it should be a part of some other applications that use Sql Server for data access?

If it supposed to be a separate application then what about Windows Service? Will it be a good choice?

Do I have to run it on both machines?

Do I have to provide access to databases which are on external HDDs or also Sql Server IDE?

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:40 PM
  • Hi,

SyncFx is not integrated into Win7 Sync Center. For Sync Center related question, please contact a Win7 forum such as "General Windows Development Issues" -  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/threads.

When you sync two SQL Servers, do you want to directly replicate the SQL Server mdf and ldf files to another machine? It is not a common way to sync database contents. There are ways to sync databases in table and row levels, such as the database providers in the Sync Framework. Unfortunately, there is no existing UI tools for you to directly sync two databases with Sync Framework today. You need to develop your own sync application with Sync Framework libraries.

Thanks,
    Dong

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:18 AM
  • Hi Doug,

What about the Sync Center? What does it do? What is it for? I checked that forum. It is moribund. I am not sure I can get any help in there. I can develop an application but I may need some guidance otherwise I will be thrashing around developing unrealistic solutions. This forum is specifically devoted to Sync Framework. Thus I unmark my mark for you (answer).

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Doug, I posted in the other forum with the same simple questions. I don't understand why you refer me there since this is a dedicated forum for Sync Framework. What is wrong with this one?

Please answer my elementary questions.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Hi Alex,

I can understand why it would seem to make sense that Sync Center and the Sync Framework would be related.  As it turns out they are not.  Sync Center is a UI integrated into Windows for controlling some (but not all) synchronization applications that happen on a Windows Machine.  In order for sync applications to expose themselves through Sync Center they need to create a plugin that is specific to that user experience.  You can read more about Sync Center here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa369140(VS.85).aspx.

For the scenario you describe at the top of the thread, I would agree with Dong.  Rather than replicating the entire SQL Server file you should consider replicating the individual rows in SQL Server.  If you want to write your own application to do that the Sync Framework is definitely a great option for that.  If on the other hand you would prefer just to configure the synchronization but use some built in user experience I suggest you look at SQL Server replication and configuration through SQL Server Management Studio.  Here are some resources to help you get started with SSMS and replication: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb500351.aspx.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

-Mike

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:12 PM
  • So, you are saying the Sync Center has nothing to do with Sql Server? Is it true?

Also, if I write an appication, should it be a stand alone Windows Service or another form?

I've asked specific questions and so far nobody, nobody ever paid any attention. That was one of my questions. You all go around in generalities.

>I hope that helps!

Very little to tell the truth.

I've seen all your links for weeks. I found them first when I decided to do sync.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:09 PM