none
non responsive HP Media Smart Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• The start of our problems appeared to be loss of internet connection. On further investigation when I checked where all the equipment is housed and connected to an APC Line-R spike and line conditioner it too was blank with no power to it.

I checked the internal fuse on the Line-R and it had blown. A new fuse was installed and the Line-R fired up - however,  attempting to start the HP Media Smart Server after the sudden shutdown & loss of power was negative.

I am beginning to wonder if the server was the cause of the fuse in the Line-R to blow and that the power supply is now dead inside the server & will require to be replaced?

How do I take the server apart in order to replace the power supply? & what complications should I  look out for?

Saturday, August 20, 2011 2:33 AM

Answers

• It's possible that the power supply was the victim of a power surge; consumer (and most low end "business") surge "suppressors" don't completely eliminate power issues, particularly as they age.

As for replacing the power supply: doing so is possible, but will require you to rewire an alternate small form factor power supply, as the MediaSmart servers use a non-standard pinout. You'll find more information about doing so here. Or you can have HP service your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by oldviking Sunday, August 21, 2011 4:55 PM
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 7:03 PM