How to easily edit a file with the Live Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I feel like I must be missing something obvious.  It seems overly painful to edit a file directly from within the Live Desktop (e.g. on a computer that is not currently Synch'd). 

The only method I was able to get to work was:
    1.  Double click on the Live Desktop file to start download
    2.  Select Save option to save it to the local computer
    3.  Click Open to open for edit after download is complete
    4.  Click Save within the application after edits are complete
    5.  Click Upload File from the Live Desktop to upload the local copy
    6.  Click OK to accept overwriting the copy on the Live Desktop.

What am I missing?
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 10:09 PM

Answers

• #1 issue: the Live Desktop is a webpage. It may be a pretty, AJAX web page; but it's still a webpage.

Getting local applications to write up to a website either takes WebDAV, which is not enabled in the CTP but is coming. Or it takes some software installed on the local box to reupload (a la Office Live's integration); but if you can install software on the box, why not just install the mesh client.

With WebDAV you'll be able to map a network drive to mesh.com. That'll get around the problem you're seeing. But we're not there yet.

Hope that helps.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:40 AM

All replies

• #1 issue: the Live Desktop is a webpage. It may be a pretty, AJAX web page; but it's still a webpage.

Getting local applications to write up to a website either takes WebDAV, which is not enabled in the CTP but is coming. Or it takes some software installed on the local box to reupload (a la Office Live's integration); but if you can install software on the box, why not just install the mesh client.

With WebDAV you'll be able to map a network drive to mesh.com. That'll get around the problem you're seeing. But we're not there yet.

Hope that helps.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:40 AM
  • Google Docs has the function of online editing. After editing, save it. No need an editor installed. Live Mesh may have in the future.
    Friday, June 6, 2008 8:43 AM
  • I agree that the full-functioning feature should be adding in the future and understand the constraints on the current implmentation.

In the meantime, it would be great if it was made more obvious how a user is to edit a file using the Live Desktop.  I must admit that I lost a bunch of changes because I wasn't paying attention to what what happening - I just assumed it was working.

A new button in the UI, an entry in the Help files, etc. would be of great help here. 

Here is one suggestion on how to improve on the current steps:

1. Double click on the Live Desktop file to start download
    2. Click Open to open for edit directly
    3. Click Save As and point to a non-temporary location (and fix file name) after edits are complete
    4. Click Update File from the Live Desktop to upload the local copy

It would require adding a new button for Updating Files in addition to Uploading files.  It also seems like the website should be able to capture the temporary internet directory that the file is downloaded to on the local computer and also NOT add [1] to the file name automatically.  Then the Update File could automatically launch in that temporary internet directory and the user would immediately see the file name of concern.  That would dramatically simplify step 3 above.

Friday, June 6, 2008 4:39 PM