none
VB forum suddenly behaves absolutely crazy RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to reply to the last post by Aerox9006 in this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Vsexpressvb/thread/86f24db7-aa11-419b-a5f2-6defea85eabb , but instead of opening a reply field to this post as expected, it opened several reply fields. The first one was in the post from golfin86. It looked and behaved normally with headline, but this was not the post I wanted to reply to. The other reply fields - including the one on the last post - had no headlines and shows all text in Courier and when I tried to post by means of the last field, I got the error message: Body must be 4-60000 characters long.

I finally succeded by using the reply field of golfin86, but the behaviour is crazy.
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans understand.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 11:00 AM

All replies

• I can confirm that this has happened to me too around about the same time. (In a SharePoint forum - so it's not restricted to the VB forums ...)

(I also posted details of this in a thread in the other forum for reporting Forum bugs which was about a possibly similar issue as the error message being reported there was the same one).

I had exactly this as described by you and my workaround was to reply to the original poster and not to the final poster.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:17 PM
  • There's some markup somewhere in that thread that fatally confuses IE.  Trying to put your post into edit mode makes the context jump to golfin86's post.  I can't find it, every post looks pretty normal.  It behaves correctly in Firefox.  Probably some IE specific Javascript, the forum devs ought to be able to debug it.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:31 PM
  • Its happening for all forums and much more common now :(

As nobugz said, its happening only for IE.

Ganesh Ranganathan
    [Please mark the post as answer if it answers your question]
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:46 AM
  • Yea, I can see the same issue as well (W7RC + IE8).  It only seems to happen though when you attempt to post a reply from the thread's dedicated page.  If you use the preview drop-down feature on a thread in the forum view (or in My Forums or My Forum Threads views) then you can reply.  The issue seems to be that the reply action opens a reply window on both the post clicked on and an answered (or another previous post) essentially opening two reply windows, neither of which can't be blank, hence the character range error.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, June 15, 2009 2:08 PM