Activation failed - activex failed - used to validate but not now.... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I bought a used Compaq system with genuine Windows XP, did some upgrades at Windows update and now I can no longer update windows at the windows update site.  The site comes up blank.

I revalidated the windows software and now get a "0x80080299" error.  I did the online "microsoft genuine advantage diagnostic" and received one error "ActiveX enabled" which failed.  I followed the "resolve now" instructions (changing security options for downloading activex controls.  Everything was exactly as it should be.

But still I can't validate anymore.  Any suggestions?  Thanking you all in advance.....

The wgadiag is below:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2CXKV-GMP22-HF2BQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: 25dG7mX6zCS/Ri0MYOSCvb3ct0w=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2111907-00101
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {05A092A0-227D-47B4-8B42-48FEAF7A9A2C}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_70AFE6BE-1170-800401f3_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-416-800401f3_E2AD56EA-221-800401f3_16E0B333-147-800401f3_70AFE6BE-1170-800401f3_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-416-800401f3_E2AD56EA-221-800401f3_16E0B333-80-800401f3_78155E4D-307-800401
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.1
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1_70AFE6BE-1170-800401f3_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-416-800401f3_E2AD56EA-221-800401f3_16E0B333-80-800401f3_B4D0AA8B-911-800401f3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Prompt
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Allowed
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Prompt

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details:

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:24 PM

Answers

• AsKelly,

Thank you for providing us with the diagnostic results. This helps us analyze your particular situation so we may provide you with a resolve. This is an issue with your XML services on the computer.  If you compare your Diagnostic Report to others on the forum, you will notice that yours is missing a bunch of text below the "Office Details" line. We commonly refer to this area as the XML blob. This is caused by a missing Registry Key.I will provide you the steps to resolve this XML issue.

Fix (Part 1):

1) Click “Start” button, then “Run”
    2) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>
       (Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)
       If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below Fix (Part 2), in that case:

Fix (Part 2):

1) Go to the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) download page at:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en
    2) From the files available, download “msxml3.msi”
    3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.
    4) Click “Start” button, then “Run...”
    5) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>

Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk prior making any changes in the registry. You should be okay because the files are being registried and no changes but still a good idea to ensure any critical data is saved. Please let us know if the above steps resolved your issues.   

Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:20 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your quick reply! 

I did as instructed and have a new error upon trying to register the dll:

DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll failed.

Return code was: 0x80004005

Not sure what this is, any ideas??

Thanks again.

Shannon

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:39 PM
  • Hello ASKelly,

Thank you for touching back with us. Kelly have you tried to download any files from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads as yet?  I would like for you to download Calculator Plus from Microsoft so we can see what experience you are having.  Please visit the following site and follow the guidance:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=32b0d059-b53a-4dc9-8265-da47f157c091&DisplayLang=en .  The file isn't large and should take minimal time. This would require you to validate prior the installation phase. Right below the URL website line a window should appear asking if you to accept the active X prompt. This would require you to right click with your mouse. Can you please try this and accept the active x request and let us know what happens. Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:25 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

I've attempted to download calculator plus but received an error when validating.

The dialog box that came up was " Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls and plug-ins to run?" I answered Yes.

The validation continued but then failed giving this message:

"Unknown error encountered during Windows validation. The validation service is unable to determine whether your copy of Windows is genuine. Please validate again. If additional attempts result in validation errors you may want to try again later."

0x80080101

The button available is "Validate again", which I did.  It runs the ActiveX dialog (as above), I anser Yes, and then I get:

"You have encountered an unknown error. Please contact your local product support team for further assistance with this issue."

0x80080299

Do you have any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks!

Shannon

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:41 PM
  • askelly,

Thank you again for the information. That is a very interesting issue and we don’t have a good answer for this one.  We would really like to get a better understanding of it so we can better help you and other users with similar problems.  Could you please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029.  Once you have done that, please reply back to this post and provide the SR # generated by the service request.  Please let us know if you would be willing to do this!!  Thank you very much.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:00 PM

All replies

• AsKelly,

Thank you for providing us with the diagnostic results. This helps us analyze your particular situation so we may provide you with a resolve. This is an issue with your XML services on the computer.  If you compare your Diagnostic Report to others on the forum, you will notice that yours is missing a bunch of text below the "Office Details" line. We commonly refer to this area as the XML blob. This is caused by a missing Registry Key.I will provide you the steps to resolve this XML issue.

Fix (Part 1):

1) Click “Start” button, then “Run”
    2) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>
       (Note: This will register the msxml3.dll and the registry entry ‘HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MSXML.DOMDocument’ will be generated)
       If this does not work, the msxml3.dll may be missing or corrupt. Follow the below Fix (Part 2), in that case:

Fix (Part 2):

1) Go to the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) download page at:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=28494391-052b-42ff-9674-f752bdca9582&DisplayLang=en
    2) From the files available, download “msxml3.msi”
    3) Double click the file and follow the steps to install.
    4) Click “Start” button, then “Run...”
    5) In the Run window, Type: regsvr32 msxml3.dll  <Click OK>

Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk prior making any changes in the registry. You should be okay because the files are being registried and no changes but still a good idea to ensure any critical data is saved. Please let us know if the above steps resolved your issues.   

Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:20 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your quick reply! 

I did as instructed and have a new error upon trying to register the dll:

DllRegisterServer in msxml3.dll failed.

Return code was: 0x80004005

Not sure what this is, any ideas??

Thanks again.

Shannon

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:39 PM
  • Hello ASKelly,

Thank you for touching back with us. Kelly have you tried to download any files from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads as yet?  I would like for you to download Calculator Plus from Microsoft so we can see what experience you are having.  Please visit the following site and follow the guidance:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=32b0d059-b53a-4dc9-8265-da47f157c091&DisplayLang=en .  The file isn't large and should take minimal time. This would require you to validate prior the installation phase. Right below the URL website line a window should appear asking if you to accept the active X prompt. This would require you to right click with your mouse. Can you please try this and accept the active x request and let us know what happens. Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:25 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

I've attempted to download calculator plus but received an error when validating.

The dialog box that came up was " Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls and plug-ins to run?" I answered Yes.

The validation continued but then failed giving this message:

"Unknown error encountered during Windows validation. The validation service is unable to determine whether your copy of Windows is genuine. Please validate again. If additional attempts result in validation errors you may want to try again later."

0x80080101

The button available is "Validate again", which I did.  It runs the ActiveX dialog (as above), I anser Yes, and then I get:

"You have encountered an unknown error. Please contact your local product support team for further assistance with this issue."

0x80080299

Do you have any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks!

Shannon

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:41 PM
  • askelly,

Thank you again for the information. That is a very interesting issue and we don’t have a good answer for this one.  We would really like to get a better understanding of it so we can better help you and other users with similar problems.  Could you please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029.  Once you have done that, please reply back to this post and provide the SR # generated by the service request.  Please let us know if you would be willing to do this!!  Thank you very much.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:00 PM