OneCare Phishing Filter RRS feed

• Question

• The phishing filter runs for ???? (ever) sometimes and I cannot ever get to the webpage I want, or maybe it would, given HOURS, but I give up before that.  I can just sit and watch that little square turn green so many times.  I know it is unsafe to turn it off, but what about an option to allow the user (ME) to turn off phishing for trusted sites?  It would be an easy fix ( a little code, a little table) and would sure be welcome to us.  Or is all or nothing forever???

Thursday, June 5, 2008 2:06 PM

Answers

• OneCare does not have a Phishing filter, IE does. OneCare requires that the phishing filter be turned on for you to be in "Green-Good" status.

If you turn off the phishing filter, does your web browsing work fine for the sites that you are having trouble with? Your problem may actually be due to an add-on that is active, a custom Hosts file, or a DNS problem. It could also be due to other active security software that resides on the PC that should be removed. The phishing filter will attempt to check the site URL against the server, but if a response does not come back immediately, you will get a message in the status bar that the site could not be checked, but you should not be seeing a delay of more than a minute or so in that case *and* it should happen rarely.

You may want to review the IE7 Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;8722

-steve

Thursday, June 5, 2008 2:39 PM

All replies

• OneCare does not have a Phishing filter, IE does. OneCare requires that the phishing filter be turned on for you to be in "Green-Good" status.

If you turn off the phishing filter, does your web browsing work fine for the sites that you are having trouble with? Your problem may actually be due to an add-on that is active, a custom Hosts file, or a DNS problem. It could also be due to other active security software that resides on the PC that should be removed. The phishing filter will attempt to check the site URL against the server, but if a response does not come back immediately, you will get a message in the status bar that the site could not be checked, but you should not be seeing a delay of more than a minute or so in that case *and* it should happen rarely.

You may want to review the IE7 Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;8722

-steve

Thursday, June 5, 2008 2:39 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

OneCare does not have a Phishing filter, IE does. OneCare requires that the phishing filter be turned on for you to be in "Green-Good" status.

This does not answer the original question.

I think the person was asking is that if we don't WANT the phishing filter turned on, can we tell OneCare that this is our choice and quit giving us the yellow status.  The Phishing filter slows down the loading of web sites to the point that we want it off.  The other choice is to keep the Phishing filter on and simply use a different web browser (which I will be doing).

Monday, July 21, 2008 1:31 PM
  • The answer clearly states that OneCare *requires* the phishing filter in IE to be turned on or your status will be yellow. It is not configurable.

-steve

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:40 PM
  •  

As I understand that the Phishing Filter scans every frame on a Web Page. If a Web Page has a lot of frames, the filter blocks all or most of the content until all the frames are scanned. The Filter assumes that all Web Pages will contain a phishing scam...even pages which only have passive content. It also doesn't retain a user history, so it scans every page as though it was for the first time.

I agree and have let OneCare Support know that OneCare shouldn't make turning the phishing filter off affect the color warning level if it is the user's option within setup. The phishing filter should only be necessary if the user is buying something or entering information which may be used in a phishing scheme. Then the user can chose the "Check This Website" option. However, OneCare in being "user friendly" has lost a lot of customizing features that other programs employ. For example, NAV gives the user the option to disconnect a feature for a user-choice amount of time.

The Web Page loading problem is probably connected to OneCare because the problem didn't exist before I started using OneCare. I've noticed that basic web sites, like Download.com. take forever to load and usually only the basic information loads on a plain background. Click on a link within that site, and there's another 4-5 minute wait for the same basic display. That didn't happen before I used OneCare. I get a vague page-loading error message, and Microsoft offers no link to information fixing that error. I tried Googling the details message, and nothing.

(Of course, it could also be that MS simply doesn't like free software web sites.)

David
    Monday, September 1, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Thank you all for the answers you gave.  But of course I still have the problem.  The real problem can only be resolved by Microsoft software engineers coding Onecare so it will allow the user to identify trusted sites that do not need to be scanned without giving a yellow warning.  I'm a software engineer (retired) and I KNOW it would be a small change.  It was just a suggestion, complaint, whatever.  It's not the end of the world or anything, I can live with it.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 12:01 AM
  • I agree with this request. My wife is a nursing student who can not access her university daily assignment website without turning off the Phishing filter. As a result, since she is in my OneCare Circle I am continually interrupted as I work by the OneCare Warning popup and yellow warning. It doesn't seem like much, but after 365 days, I began to enjoy the new MAC commercials about Windows.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 11:50 AM