Home server cannot connect to internet RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Acer H340 server running windows home server. everything seems to work fine except the server cannot connect to the internet using McAfee auto Update, Internet Explorer on the server, update windows live custom domains, router port forwarding, and computer back-up fails.

I can access the server from the web and my computer.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jack021

Monday, April 19, 2010 12:30 PM

All replies

• If you have set the Windows Home Server IP address manually please check if the gateway and DNS server addresses are set properly on your homeserver.

If you don't know the correct values you can get them from any client system which does have an internet connection; logon to the client, open a command prompt window, type ipconfig /all and hit enter, then scroll down the list to find the gateway an DNS server addresses for your LAN or wireless adapter.

It could also be useful to read this FAQ which describes in detail many network related issues

Monday, April 19, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Thanks brubber

The server IP is set to auto and the DNS & gateway server is set to the router IP. My son-inlaw is MS certified and checked all the IP's with no luck fixing it. For some reason the server cannot access the internet but I can access it from the internet. Seems like it can send out but not receive from the internet.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Please explain how you have managed to set the IP to auto but the gateway to manual?  The TCP/IP Properties for an adapter only allows you to see either Automatic or Manual for the IP address, subnet and Default Gateway - it doesn't provide a way to pick an choose which of this set can be set explicity.

Try setting everything to automatic and see if that works for you.

--
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:25 PM
  • Please check if you can reach http://74.125.19.104/ (Google.com) or http://65.55.21.250 (Microsoft.com from the server. If this works it's most likely a DNS issue. Could be something with prefixes, incorrect server address(es), using openDNS or .......

If it's not a DNS issue I would start with checking system event logs on the homeserver, next check (firewall) logs on your router.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Could this be the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration that is enabled by default on Server 2003 (WHS) blocking the traffic?

You could temporarily disable it to test your problem by going to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. From Here, select Add or Remove Windows Components from the left. In the list, simply untick IE Ehanced Security and then Next.

Thanks
    Richard

Richard Green, MCSE Windows Server 2003
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Was this every resolved for you? Or anyone?

I have the exact same issue, my AcerH340 will not make external connections anymore. Everything can connect to it fine, but i cannot ping or connect to anything externally. It's the weirdest thing.

Any other ideas to try out there?

Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Is it only pinging by name or also pinging by IP address, what fails?

If the first one, it could be a wrong DNS server entry in your servers network properties.

If the second one, your server might have 2 network adapters and the wrong one gotten the preference. Or some security software installed on the server messed up.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:07 AM