OEM setup wizard problem after reinstall server from 120 trial RRS feed

• Question

• I think this is fairly common problem.

I'm presented with the first screen of the WHS setup wizard:

...and as soon as I click "Next", I get a error: "Windows Home Server setup encoutered an error. Click back to retry. Or, Click Next to close the setup wizard and run setup again". Clicking "Back" and retrying just leads the same error over and over. If I cancel, I can do just about anything...launch the console, add uses, get Windows updates, etc. Though I can not for the life of me get the connector or webserver running... it used to run flawlessly with the 120 day trial.

Some things I have heard which may lead to a fiz...
    1. this could be a bad media issue.... not sure if there is truth to this.
    2. do another reinstall with the network unplugged
    3. keep on reinstalling until it works???

Is there any truth to these ways or is there a proper fix or work around?

Im running...
    Hardware: Supermicro X7DWE mobo, Intel 5400 Seaburg chipset, Xeon quad core E5420 2.33Ghz, 4G DDR2 mem, Intel Gpro 10/100/1000 Nic, (1) 250GB SataII HD,
    (2) 1TB SataII HD, (4) 1.5TB SataII HD, Hauppauge PVR-2250, headless
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:45 PM

All replies

• I think this is fairly common problem.

I'm presented with the first screen of the WHS setup wizard:

...and as soon as I click "Next", I get a error: "Windows Home Server setup encoutered an error. Click back to retry. Or, Click Next to close the setup wizard and run setup again". Clicking "Back" and retrying just leads the same error over and over. If I cancel, I can do just about anything...launch the console, add uses, get Windows updates, etc. Though I can not for the life of me get the connector or webserver running... it used to run flawlessly with the 120 day trial.

Some things I have heard which may lead to a fiz...
    1. this could be a bad media issue.... not sure if there is truth to this.
    2. do another reinstall with the network unplugged
    3. keep on reinstalling until it works???

Is there any truth to these ways or is there a proper fix or work around?

Im running...
    Hardware: Supermicro X7DWE mobo, Intel 5400 Seaburg chipset, Xeon quad core E5420 2.33Ghz, 4G DDR2 mem, Intel Gpro 10/100/1000 Nic, (1) 250GB SataII HD,
    (2) 1TB SataII HD, (4) 1.5TB SataII HD, Hauppauge PVR-2250, headless

It sounds to me like you are trying to run setup.exe from the server desktop.  Is that what you're doing?  If so, you need to boot from the DVD and do a Server Reinstallation.  If that's wrong, what is the last screen you see before the error message?
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:59 AM
  • No I installed from booting off the DVD and did a server reinstallation.
    The last screen says Windows Home Server setup encoutered an error. Click back to retry. Or, Click Next to close the setup wizard and run setup again

Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Try a different DVD-ROM drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:08 PM