File conflict: The File Exists RRS feed

• Question

• I have a failing hard drive and am trying to remove it. While in the process of removing it tells me that it fails to remove the drive due to file conflicts. When viewing the detials, there is a single entry with the comment "The file exists."

The name looks like a GUID (it is contained in curly braces, {00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}) and the location is C:\fs\K\DE\folders

Is there a way to identify what file this actually is (since it claims to be in the C drive) and is there a way to resolve this issue? I tried googling for "The File Exists" and "Windows Home Server" "The File Exists" and have had no luck, but I can't imagine I'm the first person to see this type of problem on a failing hard drive.

TIA for any suggestions! I'd really rather not lose the 200GB+ of photos that will probably be affected.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:59 AM

Answers

• Ken, Thanks for the feedback, I'm more curious as to why "the file exists" would be an error to cause a file conflict? I have seen that error before but this was the only one that was really preventing me from doing anything (usually if I reboot the server those errors go away). I tried a repair on the backup DB prior to removing the drive and while it reported that the backup DB was fine I still got that error on trying to remove the drive. After I removed it with the drive unplugged and tried plugging the drive into a standard desktop, I found out that the file system on the drive was completely trashed and after a few minutes the disk seems to lock up and is read only. I'll be RMA'ing the drive, and while the lost files are frustrating it turns out that life went on today without them :)
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:09 AM

All replies

• I realized that my photos folder has been duplicated, I am still curious if anyone else has seen this and knows a fix but for now I just removed the drive with it unplugged and will deal with the lost files as a result (there are some in un-duplicated shares but nothing that will cause the world to stop spinning if it is lost forever).
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:05 AM
  • The "file" in that error message is the folder that contains your backup database. You should run a repair on the database.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Ken, Thanks for the feedback, I'm more curious as to why "the file exists" would be an error to cause a file conflict? I have seen that error before but this was the only one that was really preventing me from doing anything (usually if I reboot the server those errors go away). I tried a repair on the backup DB prior to removing the drive and while it reported that the backup DB was fine I still got that error on trying to remove the drive. After I removed it with the drive unplugged and tried plugging the drive into a standard desktop, I found out that the file system on the drive was completely trashed and after a few minutes the disk seems to lock up and is read only. I'll be RMA'ing the drive, and while the lost files are frustrating it turns out that life went on today without them :)
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:09 AM