locked
CRM4 Client Install Rolls Back RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I hope someone can help me figuring this out. I tryed lots of things but now I am stuck. It only happens on 2 workstations.
    Here is the case, I do an upgrate from CRM3 to 4 but just before it is done with the inital install it rolls back the install without any error. it tells to check the log which I did (attached below). I then tryed some stuff like uninstall all SQL applications and remove any CRM3 trace. Still got the same issue. I wonder if anyone had had the same issue and found a folution of maybe someone is kind enogh to assist me by sharing some suggestions and tips on what else I could try.

    C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\sql\v3_msde_mscrm.mdf
        at System.Security.AccessControl.NativeObjectSecurity.CreateInternal(ResourceType resourceType, Boolean isContainer, String name, SafeHandle handle, AccessControlSections includeSections, Boolean createByName, ExceptionFromErrorCode exceptionFromErrorCode, Object exceptionContext)
       at System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemSecurity..ctor(Boolean isContainer, String name, AccessControlSections includeSections, Boolean isDirectory)
       at System.Security.AccessControl.FileSecurity..ctor(String fileName, AccessControlSections includeSections)
       at System.IO.FileInfo.GetAccessControl()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Client.DatabaseInstaller.Upgrade(Session session)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Client.ClientSetup.UpgradeDatabase(Session session)
    Action ended 15:06:34: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
    Action 15:06:34: Rollback. Rolling back action:
    Rollback: UpgradeDb
    Rollback: InstallHelpIndexAction
    Rollback: EditSqlExpress
    Rollback: EditMapi
    Rollback: Copying new files
    Rollback: Creating folders
    Rollback: Updating component registration
    Action ended 15:08:30: INSTALL. Return value 3.
    Action ended 15:08:30: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.
    Action 15:08:30: SetupCompleteError.
    Action start 15:08:30: SetupCompleteError.
    Info 2898. TahomaBold10, Tahoma, 0
    Action 15:08:30: SetupCompleteError. Dialog created


    if you need anything else please let me know.
    The computer I try to install this is a remore workstation that is runing Windows XP.

    Best wishes,
    Thomas
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 3:48 PM

Answers

  • Now that it has all gone wrong, I would forget trying to do an upgrade and instead install CRM 4.0 as a new installation.

     

    It seems that you had the laptop client installed given that SQL databases are mentioned in the logs.

     

    Make sure that you log in as the original user that installed CRM 3.0 and then uninstall it. Also, uninstall the SQLExpress or MSDE instance for CRM (I'm not sure from your post whether you've done this). You could probably delete the Microsoft CRM and appropriate SQL directories in Program Files. Be careful that you don't delete any other SQL databases that might be installed on the PC.

     

    You may also need to delete the CRM outlook pst folder for each user before attempting the CRM 4 install.

     

     

     

     

    Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:50 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Now that it has all gone wrong, I would forget trying to do an upgrade and instead install CRM 4.0 as a new installation.

     

    It seems that you had the laptop client installed given that SQL databases are mentioned in the logs.

     

    Make sure that you log in as the original user that installed CRM 3.0 and then uninstall it. Also, uninstall the SQLExpress or MSDE instance for CRM (I'm not sure from your post whether you've done this). You could probably delete the Microsoft CRM and appropriate SQL directories in Program Files. Be careful that you don't delete any other SQL databases that might be installed on the PC.

     

    You may also need to delete the CRM outlook pst folder for each user before attempting the CRM 4 install.

     

     

     

     

    Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:50 PM
    Moderator
  • I unfortunately have the same problem and even attempted to uninstall everything:

    tried both:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;948312
    http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/deploy/removeclient.mspx

    and even:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/909967

    Problem was that I encountered this issue before and managed to fix using the above articles.  This time around however, the original user was in fact the CEO organisation who was away on business.  Because it was laptop given to the PA, I just deleted the local profile of the original user (which I believed should have deleted the ost/pst files anyway).

    Now regardless of what I do I always get the same behaviour.  Is anyone else experiencing this?
    Monday, March 2, 2009 6:43 AM
  • Yes.  I find the CRM for Outlook creates so many problems that if it didn't enable our company to use the product, I'd make everyone uninstall it.  Without CRM for Outlook the product is barely usable the interface is so bad.  But I digress...

    I've tried uninstalling CRM for OUtlook entirely, reinstalling, deleting the folders and databases and STILL the problem.  This is so painful and such a problem, I've stopped using CRM at all to do my job (sad because I need it to do my job!).

    As usual, the help and forums (no offence to the posters giving their ideas) are absolutely NO help, and we are --- for all intents and purposes --- screwed.

    So if you do come up with a plausable solution, please do indeed let me know.  This is a nightmare I keep reliving over and over and over and over....

    Conrad A. Montgomery
    CEO and President
    SeaCAD Technologies Pte Ltd/Flash Group
    Singapore
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:38 AM