Transfer MS Money 2004 to new computer? RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day,

I just bought a new computer and I would like to transfer all of my MS Money 2004 files to the new computer. I just use Money for the checkbook and do not use it for anything else. Can someone explain to me or point me to a site that would give step by step directions?

Thank you,

Ed 

Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:41 PM

All replies

• Copy your main *.mny file and recent *.mbf files to a USB flash drive or other media. Remember that drive will contain confidential info, so act accordingly. Copy those files to your Documents folder on the new computer. You could alternatively copy to a sub-folder in Documents or elsewhere. Just don't put your *.mny or *.mbf within a folder that is within either the ProgramFiles or Windows folder.

Install Money 2004 on the new computer with your install disk. If you don't have that, and if your Money is a US version, install Sunset. (If you don't have an installation disk and your Money 2004 is not a US version, that is a problem.) Start the new installation. Open your *.mny file.

In Tools->Settings->BackupSettings for Money Plus Sunset or Tools->Options->BackupSettings  for Money 2004, change the location to which Money backs up to a location that exists on the new computer -- typically your Documents folder or a sub-folder in Documents.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Thank you for the info...I guess I should have given you some additional info. What I would like to do is transfer all of 2004 MS Money (everything) to my new computer if possible. I do not have the installation disk, but my MS Money is a US version. If this cannot be done, then if I install Sunset will I be able to transfer the check info etc.? Is it possible to get a CD of Money someplace?

Thank you again,

Ed

Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:00 PM