I've activated for 120 days...what's next? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've read in another post that you just can't enter an activation key to just unlock WHS. You need to do a server reinstallation.

I've also read that there is a newer version of WHS coming out soon.

So, I think I've got two choices:

1. Buy the present version of  WHS and do a server reinstallation. However, can I get the new version when it is released?

2. Wait 120 days (or less!) and buy the newer version of WHS. Will this be possible? Will it reinstall ok over the previous version?

Not even sure if anyone knows the answers to these questions yet... but some insight will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Monday, January 26, 2009 8:10 PM

Answers

• There will be an update to Windows Home Server (code name Snoqualmie) sometime in the not too distant future. Some discussion of features is available on the team blog. It will not be an entirely new version of the product, but will be more akin to a service pack.

As for what you should do and when, I would say that you shouldn't worry about it. If you like the product, buy the full unrestricted software whenever you decide to and install it. If the update isn't slipstreamed into your media, it will install automatically (assuming you don't turn off automatic updates). The result will be identical to a slipstreamed version.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 26, 2009 8:45 PM

All replies

• There will be an update to Windows Home Server (code name Snoqualmie) sometime in the not too distant future. Some discussion of features is available on the team blog. It will not be an entirely new version of the product, but will be more akin to a service pack.

As for what you should do and when, I would say that you shouldn't worry about it. If you like the product, buy the full unrestricted software whenever you decide to and install it. If the update isn't slipstreamed into your media, it will install automatically (assuming you don't turn off automatic updates). The result will be identical to a slipstreamed version.

Monday, January 26, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Thanks for replying Ken.

What I'm really wondering is IF the new updates WILL make it into the current version.

If they won't, obviously, I'll want to hold on and wait for the newer purchase.

If the new updates will be provided to existing users, then I will purchase it tomorrow :)

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:49 AM
  • I believe I've already answered that (note added emphasis):

"If the update isn't slipstreamed into your media, it will install automatically (assuming you don't turn off automatic updates). The result will be identical to a slipstreamed version."

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:10 AM
  • Hi Ken

Yes, I noted your comment and understand that it is comparable to a Service Pack update.

Will MS provides all future updates for free to WHS? Perhaps a future move to Server 2008 as the base OS will constitute a necessary payment upgrade?

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Hi,

As Ken says, this update is just that, an update to the existing WHS base. Further out than that, I would imagine that any updates will be like other operating systems; that is, updates to an existing system are free, while changes involving underlaying code/new versions means a paid-for upgrade. Also, I could well see the next version being 64-bit only.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Ah ok

So the upcoming release *is* considered an update.

I just wanted to clarify.

It's similar to "Do I want to buy Vista now knowing that 7 is around the corner".

Many thanks to you and Ken for answering me!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 11:55 PM