Offline Files vs. Wireless RRS feed

• Question

• Own of my favorite uses for WHS is my wife's laptop... She has a home based business and live/dies by the files located in her My Documents folder.

She has a Dell Inspiron 6000 (Pre Internal Wireless Cards) with a DLINK PCMCIA Wireless Card which seems to work great. Had the laptop for two year snow and it works fine (XP Pro by the way)... It has 512 RAM with a 60GB HD and connects to WHS via the Home Connector

I also have an Ispiron, but the newer 1521 running Vista Ultimate. Internal NIC... and such

So, Her "My Documents" is vital and She will NEVER back up anything... so I figured I would remap her My Documents folder to "\\myserver\users\hername"... and allow offline folders to synch back & forth... Perfect solution really, because her data stays up to date on the server and she can access any files via the remote webiste she needs if she does not have her laptop and lastly, I turn on "Duplicate Folder" and technically her folders are "Backed Up"

Perfect...

My laptop: I have a music directory: "\\myserver\music" right? has about 1000 CDs worth of music (ALL LEGAL!).

I want to listen to my music when my laptop is not at home, so I did the same thing except vista style... remapped my music directory to "\\myserver\music" and allowed the synch center to do the same thing as offline folders.

Perfect...

WELL...

All is well on my laptop. Runs like a champ... but my wife's laptop constantly logs on and then after about a minute says: Files are offline your not connected to MYSERVER... and loses it's connection to the server... eventually I changed her PCMCIA card to a linksys I had and the same thing happens.

So I am having great difficulty synching her file between the WHS server and her laptop.  Eventually I just went back to her files being located locally...

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:55 PM

Answers

• CW, it really sounds more like your wife's laptop is having a networking issue, not a problem with Windows Home Server per se. That's just where you're seeing the problem. Her issue could be drivers, hardware (though you've tested two cards) or something to do with your wireless network in general. What you're doing on your laptop is not the same thing as Offline Files.

The best way to back up a PC with Windows Home Server is really using WHS Backup, BTW. I know you said she won't back up; that's her choice, and there are consequences that go along with it, but it's how Windows Home Server was intended to be used.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:45 PM
  • OK, I changed my CHANNEL on my router and all was well.
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 12:43 AM

All replies

• Are you aware of the bug in the current WHS software that makes this use probamatical at best?

"On December 21st, Microsoft announced that in some situations, customers could experience data corruption/loss when using Windows Home Server. While this issue occurs only during specific simultaneous combinations of activities under specific circumstances, HP and Microsoft are taking this issue very seriously. MS is working hard on a fix, and HP will make sure that this fix gets pushed to all MediaSmart Server owners through the automated software update mechanism. We will also communicate additional information updates to our user base through MediaSmart user communities and Home Sever blogs.

MS is now able to reproduce the problem, and we expect that the fix will be tested and delivered in the coming weeks."

If your wife lives/dies by the files located in her My Documents folder you might want to rethink this until this bug is fixed. Just a thought.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:24 PM
  • Interesting... OK, but this:

One thign I did do was to connect my wife's laptop via a wired connction and everything Synch'd fine... Which leads me to believe that it is not a Windows Home Server thing.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:07 PM
  • So which card does she have now and what router do you have? When this happens is she still connected to both the router and the internet? Does she perhaps have power management enabled for the wireless card?

Are you both connecting to the same router? And does your PC have a more advanced wireless card, say a N than your wife's card?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Good questions:

She has a Linksys WPC54G using Linksys Software on XP. When it happens she IS connected to the router and internet (Router is a WRT54G)

We are both on the same router and no My PC has a G Card (But Internal) but it using the Vista Wireless Software...
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:40 PM
  • CW, it really sounds more like your wife's laptop is having a networking issue, not a problem with Windows Home Server per se. That's just where you're seeing the problem. Her issue could be drivers, hardware (though you've tested two cards) or something to do with your wireless network in general. What you're doing on your laptop is not the same thing as Offline Files.

The best way to back up a PC with Windows Home Server is really using WHS Backup, BTW. I know you said she won't back up; that's her choice, and there are consequences that go along with it, but it's how Windows Home Server was intended to be used.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:45 PM
  • The great thing about WHS backup is that she doesn't have to back up... the system will do it for her. All she has to do is either leave her laptop running or put it into Standby instead of shutting it down. Make sure the backup is scheduled for a time that she doesn't use the PC, and it's all automatic. The default for the backup is midnight-6 AM.

However, you are likely to have backup problems until you resolve the network issues. Also, I would recommend that you do a wired backup of the PC the first time.

Joe
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:47 PM
  • What Joe says about the initial backup is excellent advice. Though I've done a fair number of "initial" backups over wireless, I always do them with the laptop in question close enough to my WAP to get an excellent signal, and I'm careful to see that nothing animate gets in the way during the backup.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:57 AM
  • Not sure if this will help you or is the right solution for you, but thought I would share what I do. I have had problems with Office 2007 documents being accessed directly from the home server as well as some of my picture files being slow and such. So in order to retain the most speed and have things backed up all the time, I use robocopy. I have it watching my documents folder on my machine and set to mirror that folder to a folder I have on the home server. I have it set to copy any changes that happen every 10 minutes. Probably overkill for most, but I want to make sure that when I save a document, it is backup up right away. This may be an option for you. Set up robocopy on the home server to watch your laptops folder and it will backup that folder all day long.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:24 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with one of my wireless computers. It will sometimes connect to the WHS but the connection won't last. I'm lucky if it connects at all. It has managed once to stay connected longe enough to do a backup. I'm putting it down to either a glitch in the machine, maybe the OS (XP Pro) having a problem or the fact that sometimes the signal strength isn't that good. I have no problems with my laptop (Sony Vaio running same XP Pro) backing up aross its wireless connection. I haven't had chance to re-install the OS but I think I'm going to get a pair of HomePlugs to run the network signal to the PC through the mains. This way I won't have to worry about the strength of wireless signal when streaming media (the PC's main function!)

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:23 AM
  • OK, I changed my CHANNEL on my router and all was well.
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 12:43 AM