Why do automatic backups not start on schedule? RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a HP EX485.  I set it up to automatically backup my PCs from 10 PM to 1 AM.  It is also set to sleep from 2:00 AM to 9:30 PM.  I have the PC client software installed on two VMware Fusion XP guest machines.  My host machine is a Mac running Mac OSX on Intel processor.  I have not setup the Mac to use the EX485.

Here is my issue:  the EX485 will wake up at 9:30 PM as scheduled, but it will not consistently start backing up my XP guest machines.  During the last 3 nights:

1. One of the XP guest machines started backing up at about 10:18.  The second XP guest machine started about 20 minutes after the first one finished.
    2. I waited 45 minutes for backups to start.  Nothing happened.  I changed the backup time to 11:00 PM.  The first machine then started backing up at about 11:18 PM.  Again, the second one started about 20 minutes after the first one finished.
    3. Again I waited 45 minutes for backups to start.  Again, nothing happened.

Is there something I am missing?  Why won't my backups start on time or even start at all?

TIA for your help.

Friday, June 5, 2009 6:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    unfortunately only the Connector software decides, when to backup, as long as it is in the backup window. There is no interactive connection in which the server would tell a client, that it is now ready to take the backup. Also between two backups a certain time frame is necessary before the next automatic backup is running.
    There are multiple reasons, why automated backup would not run. Start checking the event log, if the client even started to backup. If it is a laptop on battery or a PC attached to an UPS device, backup also will not be executed.

If you want this changed, register on Microsoft Connect and vote for a feature request, i.e. Server should be able to trigger backup execution for active clients.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, June 5, 2009 11:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by anshin Monday, June 8, 2009 4:56 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:25 PM
  • The client PC chooses the exact time for backup to start, based on the latest backup window that it knows about. Once it knows what the backup window is (I believe it determines the current window during each night's backup) it chooses a random time within the first half of the window. The next night it wakes at the chosen time (if configured to do so) and begins a backup. If there's already a backup running, it adds itself to the end of the queue.

So with a 3 hour backup window, it's possible that neither of your client PCs will begin a backup within 45 minutes of the start of the window. In addition, if (for some reason) a backup runs past the end of the window, clients that are waiting to begin their backups may not back up at all because an automatic backup will only start within the backup window.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by anshin Monday, June 8, 2009 4:55 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    unfortunately only the Connector software decides, when to backup, as long as it is in the backup window. There is no interactive connection in which the server would tell a client, that it is now ready to take the backup. Also between two backups a certain time frame is necessary before the next automatic backup is running.
    There are multiple reasons, why automated backup would not run. Start checking the event log, if the client even started to backup. If it is a laptop on battery or a PC attached to an UPS device, backup also will not be executed.

If you want this changed, register on Microsoft Connect and vote for a feature request, i.e. Server should be able to trigger backup execution for active clients.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by anshin Monday, June 8, 2009 4:56 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:25 PM
  • The client PC chooses the exact time for backup to start, based on the latest backup window that it knows about. Once it knows what the backup window is (I believe it determines the current window during each night's backup) it chooses a random time within the first half of the window. The next night it wakes at the chosen time (if configured to do so) and begins a backup. If there's already a backup running, it adds itself to the end of the queue.

So with a 3 hour backup window, it's possible that neither of your client PCs will begin a backup within 45 minutes of the start of the window. In addition, if (for some reason) a backup runs past the end of the window, clients that are waiting to begin their backups may not back up at all because an automatic backup will only start within the backup window.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by anshin Monday, June 8, 2009 4:55 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Sounds like a bit of a "free for all". Everyone is sitting around waiting for someone else to make the first move, then they all jump on the dance floor at once only to find there's just space for one. :o)

Surely there is, or should be, a way of setting which is the first PC to backup and then set further priority on the the server by their position on the 'backup' list i.e main computer at the top of the list starts them off at the allotted time and the rest fall into line as the prior PC finishes.

I agree with the Microsoft Connect suggestion that a PC that has missed a backup for some time (i.e. laptop) should be given priority but a PC should also be able to be marked to be ignored so it doesn't hold up the process (i.e. spare PC removed for repair and won't be needed for weeks/months).
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:56 PM