How to Synchronize two folders in Cloud(LiveDesktop) with one on Local Machine. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
      I have created one folder (Test) on my LiveDesktop it  gets synchronized with my  Local MOE 's "Test".
    whenI  do changes in my local machine folder that gets reflected in folder on Live Desktop.

But if i want to synchronize "Test" on Live Desktop with "Test2" on Live Desktop means When i do changes in Local folder then that should reflected on both folders  on Cloud(Live Desktop).... could it be possibe?

I am developing one application using LiveMesh where I want to Synchronize one local folder with two Live desktop's folders ...
    and also Can we add one MeshObject as DataFeed to another MeshObject.
    Submit
    Please reply me soon ,
    Thank You....

dattaadsule
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To your first question - it is not possible to synchronize a folder twice. If you had a specific setup and you wanted to be hacky I can think of ways around that, but it would require more effort than it's worth, not to mention two machines networked together as well.

As for your second question (MeshObject), I don't think that that is allowed, but then again I haven't tried (yet). To get a proper answer for this you should post the question on the Live Framework Forum (as this forum deals primarily with the Live Mesh client).

Good Luck!

Oren
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:43 PM

All replies

• So do you want to have two identical folders on the same Live Desktop (why?) Or do you want to sync one local folder with two different Live desktops (i.e. two difefrent meshes / two user accounts)?
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:00 PM
  • Not really that but,

I want to sync one local folder with two different folders on same Live desktop(with one account only)..
    Is it possible  using LiveMeshAPI's...?

Thank you for your quick reply..

Thank You,
    Datta

dattaadsule
  • Hi,

To your first question - it is not possible to synchronize a folder twice. If you had a specific setup and you wanted to be hacky I can think of ways around that, but it would require more effort than it's worth, not to mention two machines networked together as well.

As for your second question (MeshObject), I don't think that that is allowed, but then again I haven't tried (yet). To get a proper answer for this you should post the question on the Live Framework Forum (as this forum deals primarily with the Live Mesh client).

Good Luck!

Oren
  • dattaadsule said:

Not really that but,

I want to sync one local folder with two different folders on same Live desktop(with one account only)..

But that would make those two folders on the Live Desktop identical copies of each other. Since they are both synced to the same folder on your local computer any change in one folder will propagate to the local pc and from there back to the other folder on the Live Desktop. I wonder what you really want to achive, maybe there's a better way. Can you describe the scenario/use case you have in mind?
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:57 PM
  • I'm curious as to what the reason for having two identical folders on the Live Desktop is, too.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:02 PM
  • Hi stefan,
    as per your post could it possible with Live Mesh to sync one local folder with two different Live desktops (i.e. two difefrent meshes / two user accounts)?
    Thank you...

dattaadsule
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:51 PM
  • I'm not sure if the same local folder can be part of multiple meshes. I've never tried this but I could imagine there might be conflicts.

But what you can do is invite another user to a folder in your Mesh (on your Live Desktop). This would put that folder on the other user's Live Desktop, too. I won't be a copy really, because the files will exist only once in the "cloud" and both of you can access them. You can specify the other user's permissions, so you could give him read-only access if you wish.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 4:30 PM