I have a HP Mediaserver - The Main Server drive is dead RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP Mediaserver - The Main Server drive is dead, and I would just like to reinstall a newer OS to start all over again with all new drives. All my PCs data is in tack, so recovery is not necessary. So how can I do a reinstall if that's possible. I do have 2GB of RAM.

Thanks if you can help

Chuck

Saturday, July 25, 2015 2:25 AM

All replies

• You should have gotten a DVD for server reinstallation with the purchase of your Mediaserver. This must be executed from a client operating system. Which client OS are supported here, may depend from the model, therefore check the manual which you have gotten with the box or find the appropriate documentation on the HP website.

(In one case years ago for the very first model I had to use a virtual PC with Windows XP to trigger a reinstallation.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, August 10, 2015 2:26 PM
  • I don't have the disk anymore, but can I uses one of these to get access to it? Look for this on eBay and can you tell me if this will work? "HP 286597-001 CAT5 PS2 VGA KVM-IP Interface Adapter Cable 520-290-004" so I can install a newer version of Windows Home Server?

I did find this on YouTube, VGA Header & Bios Demo youtube watch?v=_Q91XrXjNvg Just add the https and .com

Any and all input I can get will be appreciated

Chuck

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 6:44 PM
  • I think this cable is only for a KVM device (connects existing VGA, keyboard, mouse of the server to the KVM console via LAN) and not, what you would need to get video output at Bios level.

You still did not tell which is the exact Mediasmartserver model you are using, since this may determine what you need to accomplish this. An adapter like you may want is still offered through http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14074

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:10 AM