Vista: How can I add programs in "C:\windows\downloaded program files" to Firewall Exceptions list? RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to add some webclient files (F5 VPN) that have been downloaded to "C:\windows\downloaded program files" to the Windows Live OneCare Firewall Exceptions list in Vista, but the folder does not appear in the pane when I browse to the C:\windows directory, even though explorer is set to show all system files.

I'm guessing that the folder has an attribute that prevents it from being browsed in Windows Live OneCare or that it is a virtual folder/directory.

Does anyone know how I can add files in this directory to the exceptions list?

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:00 AM

Answers

• I can't tell you why you can't path to that location (I just verified it here...), but I can speculate that the reason for this is that those are Objects that are actually used by another application - ActiveX or the Java RunTime, for example. If the object is ActiveX and IE settings are allowing ActiveX for that object source, the OneCare firewall allows the traffic. As far as I know, no object in that folder executes on its own or makes network calls on its own. Note that this is just speculation and I'll seek confirmation. In the meantime, you can reach out to support, if desired, though I suspect they will be stymied by the question, too.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:03 PM