E-Learning Voucher not allowing selection of e-learning collections RRS feed

• Question

• I have just tried to use one of my E-learning vouchers to access Collection 2544 - Advanced Web Client Programming with Visual Studio 2005.

I entered my voucher code at the following page, as normal:
    https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/enterCode.aspx

I was then asked to select one course or collection from the list of courses presented.
    Each time I have done this in the past, I have been able to select an Elearning collection. This time however, only courses are listed. None of the elearning collections are listed.

As it happens, the last item on the list of training I want to do is a course (2710), rather than a collection, so I selected that course for the time being. However, I wanted to complete the other items on my rather long list before working on Course 2710.

I would like to know why the Elearning collections are no longer accessible when using an E-learning voucher.
    Also, at what point is the voucher code "spent" - on entering it in the "Enter Access Code" page, or when the product is selected?

I'm afraid to try again with another voucher in case the code becomes "spent" without me being able to select the product I want.

Thanks in advance,
    Gavin
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:14 PM

Answers

• Alicia Cales said:

The goal of the forums for the the community to help each other so all users should be able to respond to each other and not be 100% dependent on the admins or the group responsible for the forums.  We created this forum for a way for customers to discuss issues with each other directly as well as receive interaction from the product groups.  The learning manager support teams are available and you should have been able to open up a support ticket by going here:  http://www.microsoft.com/learning/support/worldsites.mspx/.  Not sure if you tried that or not but it is an alternative option for you.

Hi Alicia,

The idea of community support is fine when the community is able to provide support. However a lot of the issues people have are fundamental and require backend / inside knowledge to resolve. At the present time the community just doesn't appear to have the knowledge needed to help itself and we are unfortunately at least 95% dependent on the forum admins and product groups responsible for the forums.

I for one try to provide advice when other users are experiencing issues I think I can help with and I'm hopefull that the situation will improve over time as more people gain experience to share with other users.

As I've said before, this forum has provided a lifeline of support where other avenues have completely failed. I have tried to open a support ticket in the past through the links accessed through the link you provide above. It doesn't work, in Europe at least. I've called the numbers for the UK a number of times - whilst I did get the recommendation to look for paper vouchers from 3rd parties from them, they were fundamentally unable to resolve any of my issues and sometimes didn't even know about e-learning or the learning manager.

I did use the email support address on the back of the voucher when I couldn't redeem it. I eventually got a reply through that channel 2 days after the community noticed that the problem had been resolved.

In my experience, the support options offered by Microsoft on e-learning are inadequate. The work done by you on this forum is the only means of support that seems to work. 

Unfortunately, we don't seem able to help ourselves and we are relying on you!

Thank you for the support you have provided, it is appreciated!

-Gavin
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 1:29 PM

All replies

•  Update. Today I have tried to use another voucher, but unfortunately I am presented with the same list of products to select from as yesterday - generally, it looks like the products from the "Developer" section of the elearning catalog are completely missing.

Previously I have successfully used elearning vouchers to access collections 2541, 2546 & 2547.
    Yesterday I wanted to redeem a voucher to access collection 2544, but had to select course 2710 as the collections were not listed in the available products.

Previously I have observed that all collections that I planned to do were included in the list of products whilst choosing the collections listed above. But now neither the collections I wish to work on now or the collections I have previously accessed through vouchers are listed.

Please help - I've come to a crashing halt in my training and have two paid for vouchers that appear to be of no use to me, despite having used four vouchers successfully in the recent past.

-Gavin
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:10 PM
  • As part of my current issue I asked:
    "Also, at what point is the voucher code "spent" - on entering it in the "Enter Access Code" page, or when the product is selected?"

The answer to this is that the voucher code is "spent" on selecting the product against which to redeem the voucher.

• Edited by Gavin Meiklejohn Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:20 AM tidied up formatting
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:16 AM
  • Hello, 

It's now three days since I started this thread about my latest problem and I've had no response.
    Any chance of some support / response on this issue please?

This is worse than not being able to purchase training with my credit card because I've already spent my money but can no longer select the products I want.

-Gavin
    Friday, May 23, 2008 7:34 AM
  • I gave one of my students an E-Learning voucher and she has the same problem with collection 2778.
    Please solve this problem asap !!
    Monday, May 26, 2008 8:58 AM
  • Today I tried again and yes, my collection 2778 was there! But! When I selected it, I got a page with an empty Product Selection. And then nothing.
    So don't be too happy when you see your course. You probably still can't do anything.
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 5:54 PM
  • I tried early this morning and the situation hadn't improved.
    However after seeing TheaGG's post, I tried a few minutes ago.

From what I could see, all the E-learning collections are once again listed in the product selection - and I have successfully used my two remaining vouchers to access collections 2542 and 2549.

So, my particular problem appears to have been resolved. It's still frustrating that no visible help came from either this forum or the official support e-mail address on the back of the vouchers.

The collections just seem to have reappeared as if by magic - much like the way they disappeared in the first place.
    Even if the end result appears to have worked out, the way in which it has been achieved is far from satisfactory.

Sadly, another poor experience.

I should be happy really, but this is Microsoft, the worlds biggest software company, not some dodgy backstreet operation. Everything about this episode should have been a lot slicker and more professional.

Problems occur, nothing is every going to be perfect, but the way in which problems are resolved is critical. For all I know, the collections could disappear again tomorrow, which is why I redeemed both vouchers tonight while I could.
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Gavin and others-

I am terribly sorry for the slight delay in responses to you on this.  It was a holiday here in the US and our team was busy with the latest Forums launch.

Our team does not support the voucher access code issues but I can direct you to the team that does and can address this issue further.  Let's make sure to look into this so you don't have any problems with these courses.

Please contact me at learnmgr@microsoft.com and I will put you in touch with the team that addresses these issues.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:00 AM
  • Thanks Alicia.
    This issue is resolved from my point of view.
    Don't know about TheaGG or Sjouke Veenbaas though.

It would be good to get an explanation of what happened though - was this just a glitch, or is this a sign of things to come - ie. are there restrictions on what content can be accessed with vouchers planned for the near future?

thanks,
    Gavin
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:08 AM
  • I tried again and didn't use Firefox this time, but Internet Explorer and now I finally can start my course. I don't know if it was because of using IE. Maybe I had to try Firefox first to find out. 
    And I agree with all the remarks of Gavin Meiklejohn. And in my opinion, holiday can't be an excuse for not answering questions with clients all over the world.

Maybe you can place the email address in your 'Contact us' block for people with problems with the vouchers. So they directly can contact the right team and don't have to wait 5 days for an answer to find out you were on the wrong place. 
    But I can start my course now.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Gavin Meiklejohn said:

Thanks Alicia.
    This issue is resolved from my point of view.
    Don't know about TheaGG or Sjouke Veenbaas though.

It would be good to get an explanation of what happened though - was this just a glitch, or is this a sign of things to come - ie. are there restrictions on what content can be accessed with vouchers planned for the near future?

thanks,
    Gavin

Hi Gavin-

I have a conference call with Element K and will discuss this information with them.  Will follow up back to this thread.

Thanks-
    Alicia
    Monday, June 2, 2008 7:58 AM
  • TheaGG said:

I tried again and didn't use Firefox this time, but Internet Explorer and now I finally can start my course. I don't know if it was because of using IE. Maybe I had to try Firefox first to find out. 
    And I agree with all the remarks of Gavin Meiklejohn. And in my opinion, holiday can't be an excuse for not answering questions with clients all over the world.

Maybe you can place the email address in your 'Contact us' block for people with problems with the vouchers. So they directly can contact the right team and don't have to wait 5 days for an answer to find out you were on the wrong place. 
    But I can start my course now.

Hi TheaGG--

Thanks for the tip for the 'Contact us' block but unfortunately, my team does not directly support the Elearning vouchers directly.  Is there a number or contact information listed on the voucher?  If so, did you attempt to call or email that location?

The goal of the forums for the the community to help each other so all users should be able to respond to each other and not be 100% dependent on the admins or the group responsible for the forums.  We created this forum for a way for customers to discuss issues with each other directly as well as receive interaction from the product groups.  The learning manager support teams are available and you should have been able to open up a support ticket by going here:  http://www.microsoft.com/learning/support/worldsites.mspx/.  Not sure if you tried that or not but it is an alternative option for you.

Let me know if you continue to have problems and I will be happy to help you reach someone who can assist with you issue.

Thanks-
    Alicia

Monday, June 2, 2008 8:08 AM
  • Alicia Cales said:

Hi Alicia,

The idea of community support is fine when the community is able to provide support. However a lot of the issues people have are fundamental and require backend / inside knowledge to resolve. At the present time the community just doesn't appear to have the knowledge needed to help itself and we are unfortunately at least 95% dependent on the forum admins and product groups responsible for the forums.

I for one try to provide advice when other users are experiencing issues I think I can help with and I'm hopefull that the situation will improve over time as more people gain experience to share with other users.

As I've said before, this forum has provided a lifeline of support where other avenues have completely failed. I have tried to open a support ticket in the past through the links accessed through the link you provide above. It doesn't work, in Europe at least. I've called the numbers for the UK a number of times - whilst I did get the recommendation to look for paper vouchers from 3rd parties from them, they were fundamentally unable to resolve any of my issues and sometimes didn't even know about e-learning or the learning manager.

I did use the email support address on the back of the voucher when I couldn't redeem it. I eventually got a reply through that channel 2 days after the community noticed that the problem had been resolved.

In my experience, the support options offered by Microsoft on e-learning are inadequate. The work done by you on this forum is the only means of support that seems to work. 

Unfortunately, we don't seem able to help ourselves and we are relying on you!

Thank you for the support you have provided, it is appreciated!

-Gavin
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 1:29 PM