Windows Live Messenger keeps logging out! Please help? ;(

• Hey I got a strange problem. When I log into MSN, either as "Busy", "Available" or "Away" I am disconnected after 3 seconds. The message it displays after it logs out is "Your connection with Windows Live Messenger has been lost. Reconnecting in xx:xx". The thing is, there's nothing really wrong with the internet and I haven't ever had this problem till very recently (3 weeks or so). 

Also, the strange thing is, is when I log in as "Appear-Offline" the messenger doesn't log out and I can talk like normal to others. Although maybe after 1-20 mins it may disconnect.

This is really weird because none of this ever used to happen all throughout the 2 years I've been using it till now. 

(Note: My ISP is Vodafone Mobile Broadband (Have been using this for 4 months or so), yeah I know it can be unstable at times but I don't think it's the cause of the frequent logging out. Because I'm able to do others things on the net such as watch YouTube videos without a problem).

[P.S. - The version of MSN I'm using is 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.726). And I'm running this on a Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 with an ASUS M51N. I also am running AVG 8.5]

So please can anyone help me out?

Additional Details

Also, when I log in as "Appear-Offline" then manually switch my status to "Available", "Busy" or "Away" it still disconnects after 3 seconds.

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section or something, if so please redirect me to a more appropriate audience.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 10:03 AM

All replies

• I have the same issue, two seperate PCs, and 2 out of three live accounts, do the same.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 5:57 PM
  • I have the same issue. When I VPN into my office network, I get the logout and login issue from MSN Messenger.
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 6:26 PM
  • This happens to me too. I'm living on a college campus, and windows live use to work for the first month. Lately after its been logging me out for no apparent reason when set as anything other than invisible. When i go back home, windows live works perfectly and I can log on perfectly with my status set as available. Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Monday, November 09, 2009 2:09 AM
  • I have the same issue, but only with one of my Live IDs...I can sign in with no trouble using an old live ID that I haven't used for a couple of years. So it can't be the computer generally, but something to do with the way this particular live ID is stored on this computer.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:27 AM
  • I'm having the same issues!!!! It is frustrating. :(

-I was ok with version 8.5
    -When I upgraded to new version it then crashes then my contact lists appear to be blank!!!!
    -Has errors

Please help!
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:15 PM
  • I have the same problem. Im wondering if the Blackberry client could be the problem.
    • Proposed as answer by maximo76 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:33 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:30 AM
  • Have had the same problem, seems like it crashes when you create "GROUPS". What I did to get rid of the problem was to stay as "appear offline"(this was the only way I could stay online) and delete the group that I called "family" via Hotmail and restarted Messenger.

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 11:34 AM
  • yea, it's really work after delete all groups..
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:11 AM
  • I am also having the same problem. This is completely ridiculous. I've had it with windows live messenger and as much as i HATE AOL, at this point, its preferable to the crap we are attempting to deal with on Live Messenger. Even Yahoo messenger, as lame as it can be, doesn't drop out like MSN. There needs to be a fix and it needs to be soon. I'm tired of people telling me its my internet that keeps dropping out. If that were the case it would log me out of AIM and Yahoo as well. Please MSN Gods, for all that is good in this world, fix it.
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:07 AM
  • This is the Windows Live Writer forum.

Support for Windows Live Essential applications are available in the Windows Live Solution Center

MSFT MVP Live Mail
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Just wanted to share and say thank you to Joakim. I have been fighting with this for three days now and came upon your suggestion. My issue did start when I created a group. I deleted and re-install numerous times to no avail. And thanks to you I deleted the group and now am fine again.  
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 1:59 PM
  • hello  if your running avg  go into the online shield then into instant messenging,  un tick the msn tab and press apply.. this should stop msn checking every message you get and signing you out all the time.. cheers  mitchell

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:45 PM