Restore from non-raid to raid0 setup? RRS feed

• Question

• Would it work to restore a computer backup from WHS done on a client with a single drive to the same computer but with a raid0 setup in BIOS?

(The reason I ask is that I want to increase the disk performance of my desktop computer without going to SSD.)
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:27 PM

Answers

• You'll probably find it difficult at best. RAID "in BIOS" is a form of software RAID, and requires drivers for an operating system to be able to see/boot from the array successfully. You probably don't have those drivers installed at present, and most likely they won't install without a RAID array already being present.

Your best bet, if you really want to use RAID 0 (which I recommend very strongly you not do; RAID 0 is less reliable than the least reliable disk in the array) is going to be a fresh installation of Windows on the array, then only restore data using the Windows Home Server single file restore mode.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Silverstrale Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:06 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:56 AM

All replies

• It should be possible, as long as it appears as one disk to Windows
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:30 PM
  • You'll probably find it difficult at best. RAID "in BIOS" is a form of software RAID, and requires drivers for an operating system to be able to see/boot from the array successfully. You probably don't have those drivers installed at present, and most likely they won't install without a RAID array already being present.

Your best bet, if you really want to use RAID 0 (which I recommend very strongly you not do; RAID 0 is less reliable than the least reliable disk in the array) is going to be a fresh installation of Windows on the array, then only restore data using the Windows Home Server single file restore mode.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Silverstrale Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:06 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:56 AM