Scheduled backup doesn't start RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all

I'm having problems with my backup of my PC to WHS RTM.
    The connector is installed, and I have a green icon in my system tray. The backup is set to start in the morning from 6 to 8.

When I finally get up in the morning, the PC is on, but no backup has been run. Still a green icon in the tray..

So I look in the event log, and can't find anything Sad So where can I find a log on my PC to see that the backup actually starts and try and diagnose the problem?
    I've installed the WHS toolkit, but that's really no good to me so far...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Regards
    Claus Nielsen
    Monday, October 29, 2007 9:52 AM

Answers

• Claus,

You could try downloading this software from Microsoft and check the network is OK, (however, it does sound fine).

Have you tried removing the computer from the Computers and Backup tab in the Console and then re-adding it? Also, re-setting the Console, (when the Console window first opens, click on the little 'down' chevrons below the connection indicator.) Also, check your Vista firewall, port 8912 needs to be open.

Colin

Monday, October 29, 2007 7:19 PM

All replies

• I'm having a similar, problem. My main PC backs up fine, every night, but my girlfriends laptop doesn't, and i only find out a week later when i get an amber icon to tell me that her laptop hasn't backup up for 7 days. I have even changed back up time to be from midday to midnight.

I know it is a slighly different problem to your Claus but it may be as a result of the some problem.

Matt S
    Monday, October 29, 2007 10:24 AM
  • Same issue here. Two of my PC's back up regularly and one never does. WHS ICON stays green. I have tried uninstalling the WHS client and then reinstalling directly from the WHS software folder on the home server. I have changed the start and end time to 1am to 6am. Compared firewall settings (Live One Care) and compared network adapter settings. Anyone have other ideas?  

Monday, October 29, 2007 12:18 PM
  • Claus,

If, in the Backup section of the Consol, you 'double click' the relevant computer, it will open the backup summary window. What does it say there about the backup?

Also, what is the Client computer? notebook/desktop? XP/Vista? Wired/Wireless?

From there,I'm sure someone will have more help.

Colin

Monday, October 29, 2007 6:07 PM
  •  

Hello Colin

Thanks for your reply, I'll try and explain some more..

I'm using WHS connector software on Vista on a desktop PC with a wired connection.

The backup summary is empty, thats the problem. So far I've not run into the x days of this PC hasn't been backup up, and I'm hoping to fix it before Smile

Where can I see if the backup even starts? The PC turns on and it boots, so when I get up in the morning it's just waiting. Nothing in the event log Sad

There must be some extra log file for the connector that I can view? Somewhere it display some error why it didn't finish the backup..

Does this help?

Regards

Claus Nielsen

Monday, October 29, 2007 6:21 PM
  • Claus,

You could try downloading this software from Microsoft and check the network is OK, (however, it does sound fine).

Have you tried removing the computer from the Computers and Backup tab in the Console and then re-adding it? Also, re-setting the Console, (when the Console window first opens, click on the little 'down' chevrons below the connection indicator.) Also, check your Vista firewall, port 8912 needs to be open.

Colin

Monday, October 29, 2007 7:19 PM
  • This morning the backup went trough!

I ran the toolkit again, and it advised me about it couldn't detect the DHCP server, since I use static IP addresses. Also I have more than one network card, since I use VmWare Workstation, so I disabled those two.

I also opened the firewall on port 8912, but isn't the connector software supposed to do that?

And why do I even have to open up a port? Is it not the connector software that initialises the connection with the server?

So the client is my desktop and the home server is the server, when you think of a client-server relationship, right? So when the client (my desktop) initiates the connection, there doesn't have to be any specific open ports open, since the connection these days usually are bidirectional, am I correct?

It just seems wierd!

But for now it works, so if it goes out again, I'll post a new post!

Thanks for the help!

Regards

Claus Nielsen

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 7:39 AM