OC2007 Uninstall does not remove Communicator from registry RRS feed

• Question

•  

OC2007 Uninstall does not remove Communicator from registry

I have one PC that this occurs on, probably a hosed installation.

When OC2007 is reinstalled, it crashes over and over again at first launch.

OC2007 Uninstall does not remove Communicator from registry on this machine.

Is there a tool to completely remove OC2007 from the registry?

Thanks.

Freddy1234

Monday, November 26, 2007 8:36 PM

All replies

• I doubt the crashing behavior you see is due to any registry settings left over from Communicator, but your best bet is to capture any registry changes during a new install on a fresh desktop, and then record all OC-related keys.  Then manually delete these keys on the problem computer to see if that helps at all.

I know that there are at least 3 places that Communicator 2007 client settings and policies are stored, in both machines and uers hives.

Monday, November 26, 2007 9:01 PM
  • "I doubt the crashing behavior you see is due to any registry settings left over from Communicator, but your best bet is to capture any registry changes during a new install on a fresh desktop, and then record all OC-related keys.  Then manually delete these keys on the problem computer to see if that helps at all."

What else would be causing the crashing behavior?

The user can login to OC just fine on any other PC.

Why doesn't uninstaller remove communicator from the registry on this box?

There is a very long list of things related to communicator on this PC as it has Netscape communicator installed.

Manually removing communicator then isn't really a good option, this is why I am asking if there is a MS tool that

completely removes OC2007 from all registry hives.

Of course, MS could have thought to choose a more unique name for their IM software too.

Freddy1234

Monday, November 26, 2007 9:30 PM
  • What you can do is find a computer without the OCS client, enable a registry capturing tool (like RegMon) and then install the client.  Record all of the new keys and then remove just those keys from your problematic workstation.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 5:01 AM