eSATA add-in card questions RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings all....I have a running WHS on a fairly old motherboard (5 year old Intel 845 board...I think ) without SATA support.  Currently, I have two internal IDE drives (320GB and 80GB) and one external IEEE1394 300GB drive.

Rather than add more hard drives in the case, I'd rather install a PCI eSATA card and add drives via external enclosures.  My questions to everyone are:

#1  What's the latest recommendation for add-in SATA PCI cards?  I saw some postings from May recommending the Promise cards, but is that still the case?

#2  Will I be able to add in the card and drive without having to reinstall WHS?  If so, how will the server recognize the drive and ask for drivers?

Thanks much...

Friday, November 23, 2007 12:41 AM

All replies

• You'll want to find a card with Windows Server 2003 drivers, but other than that, you shouldn't have any problems. You'll install the card, then drivers. Then you'll attach disks, which Windows Home Server should see without further intervention. You'll add those disks to the storage pool, and the additional space will be available.
    Friday, November 23, 2007 4:09 AM
  • I actually just came to the forum to look for info on this exact same topic.  I just want to be sure i'm understanding correctly -

I can get a add-on card such as this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815290004

IOGEAR RAID5 eSATA 1.5Gbps External 4-port PCI Expansion and Upgrade Card Model GIC704SR5W6

and a external enclosure like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817332010

AMS DS-3141SSBK Steel / Aluminum 3.5" SATA 4-IN-3 SATA Module

or this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817332013

AMS DS-2340SES eSATA VENUS T4S External Enclosure

I can't tell for sure how that top enclosure gets powered, it appears to have sata power inputs as well as standard plugs that you would find inside the case, but I can't find any info about a external power supply? 

The 2nd one says its eSata where the first one says its Sata....is there a difference there where one would work with the card and one wouldn't? I thought eSata is the same as Sata but that its for a external connection on the PC but then one of the reviews by somebody said he thought sata and esata was the same and it wasn't so he either has to return the eSata enclosure or upgrade his pc....

Thanks!

Friday, November 23, 2007 4:46 AM
  • Firstly, you don't need a Raid card, just one that recognises server 2003 and is port multiplier aware. That way, you can add any capacity of hard drive and not be limited to matching sets. Something like a Sil3132 chipset is just fine, which along with a port-multiplier board, will give access to all your individual drives.  Also ensure it is SATA II or 3.0Gbps capable, to take advantage of the current hard drives.

Colin

Friday, November 23, 2007 4:34 PM
  • Will WHS ask for drivers, or do I need to go into device manager to manually update the drivers?

Saturday, November 24, 2007 1:41 AM