What is the best cert path to entry level SQL work? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Howdy,

So I'm interested in the best path forward right now and the cert paths seem to be somewhat ambigious with the retirement of MCSE\A etc.  I'm interested in working with databases, mostly maintaining, loading, etl etc.  I'm more interested in being backend than doing frontend stuff (BI etc).

As I understand it, SQL in a traditional sense (installed on a local server) is dying and so I'm interested in obtaining the DP-300 Azure cert.

My thoughts are to homelab a comprehensive big data database with a data stream and build a front end for it when job searching along with the DP-300 cert.  From there I think I can grow Azure\DB skills, but I'm hoping this will be enough for foot in the door.

I have a business BA and mostly business experiance, but also a lot of front end and various IT stuff over the years.  I'm not new, but I've never been formally IT.  e.g. My most formal IT job was a consultant doing OsCommerce work back in the early ecommerce days.

Also wondering what recommendation anyone would have for formally learning programs.  Microsoft's program here isn't out yet.  So I figure I can start with anyone's T-SQL program.  I would actually in this case prefer online to book based schooling, just because of the natural flow of working online and in a window vs book to monitor style working.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 5:25 PM

All replies

• You can study and appear for Querying SQL certification first - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-70-761.aspx

Later, as you mentioned you can go for DP-300 (Administrating Azure SQL DB)

If you want to learn more on Azure side, sign up at plurasight.com. The site provides free subscription for Azure courses.

If the response helped, do "Mark as answer" and upvote it
    - Vaibhav

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 6:08 PM