Comparing Live Mesh, SkyDrive & FolderShare RRS feed

• General discussion

• I thought it useful to compare the main features of these three services, and that collating all these features into Live Mesh, being a desirable outcome:

SkyDrive:

• Private and contacts & public sharable online file storage (5GB)
    • Integrated within Live Spaces
    • Permissions:
      • Anyone on the internet (public)
      • Contacts, by entering email manually, or selecting from messenger contacts
      • Private

Pros:

1. Ability to share with public
    2. Thumbnail views

FolderShare:

• Private & contacts shareable folder/file syncing
    • Remote file access
    • Permissions:
      • Contacts, by entering email manually

Cons:

1. Cant view files in folders online
    2. Permissions limited, folders/files not able to be made available to public, only individual contacts

Live Mesh

• Private & contacts shareable online file storage (5GB)
    • Folder/file syncing (automatically compulsory sync to online storage as well as intended device/s)
    • Remote Desktop
    • Platform
    • Permissions:
      • Contacts, by entering email manually

Cons:

1. Permissions limited, folders/files not able to be made available to public, only individual contacts
    2. Syncing between devices requires syncing to Live Desktop, which may not be desired, or have enough space (5GB)
    3. Cannot browse drives/folders/files of connected devices without going into Remote Desktop
    4. Adding contacts is tedious via manually entering emails 1 by 1, should have ability to add via messenger contact list, and public in general

Desired intergraded service:

• Online file storage (5GB) (with option to have private, contacts & public folders/files)
    • Folder/file syncing (to chosen devices/storage only, not forced inclusion of Live Desktop)
    • Remote Desktop
    • Remote file access
    • Platform
    • Integrated within Live Spaces/My Live/Live Home
    • Permissions:
      • Anyone on the internet (public)
      • Contacts, by entering email manually, or selecting from messenger contacts
      • Private

Notes:
    No feature should require another feature to be used (ie. syncing files require syncing to online storage as well)
    This should be user choice, and by doing so, then this service would provide all the functionality of SkyDrive and FolderShare
    This would allow a user to ditch using multiple services for the convenience of using just one that does everything, and using only the features they require.

• Edited by HTPCnz Sunday, June 1, 2008 1:13 AM spelling
    Sunday, June 1, 2008 12:53 AM

All replies

• I am totally with yon this....Also add to this Office.Live.com which has a cool plug in to allow MS Office Apps to write directly to/from the online storage (another 5GB).

but I just want one place to put my files, not have worry about backing them up any more and be available anywhere, edit them and manage them without having to install a single bit of software (plug-in) into a PC that is not mine.

Cheers
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:57 PM
  •  ... and you missed a big one for me...

Remove limitation on syncing certain filetypes.... specifically .pst

I've stopped using Mesh and gone back to Foldershare for this reason.

\\bruce
    • Edited by baumzuchter Friday, June 27, 2008 2:19 PM typo
    Friday, June 27, 2008 2:18 PM
  • I agree that Microsoft needs to make sense and consolidate their storage offerings.  In addition to those mentioned sofar, I think Windows Home Server needs to be included in the online & offline storage strategy.
    Friday, June 27, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Hi,

I AGREE, they realy should unify everything under Live Mesh....

The Peer-to-Peer downloading syncing should be enabled like in Foldershare, but the meta data should alway be put online. So I alway get the 'opacity 50%' icon and know a file si there. But when i click it it should download it peer to peer of the machine is online and o the same network.

If the machine isn't online and it didn't in first instance put the data in the 'live desktop' then you can't get it. That is a bugger, but then you could save a note online, so then when the machine is online next time it uploads that one file you wanted so you can donwload it later when you want to. Or, of you could use wake up lan you can still get the file !

Peer to peer has to be in nex version of Live Mesh !
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:53 PM
  • I take it there's no online file storage associated with FolderShare, is there?
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 8:57 AM
  • SkyDrive Sync being re-branded Live Mesh is a con.

See my Blog on issues with the New Live Mesh (Sydrive Sync) at http://nigelgibbons.wordpress.com/2010/09/29/windows-live-essentials-2011-downgrade-for-mesh-beta-users-beware/

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:51 AM
  • Hello, Nigel. There never was nor is there now anything called SkyDrive Sync.

Windows Live Mesh uses the back end architecture and technology of Live Mesh, albeit many of the features we are used to in Live Mesh beta are not included. That's because the design of the client was based more closely on the simplicity of Live Sync. Many don't like the change, while many others do. The Live Desktop of Live Mesh is gone, though, with cloud storage being provided with SkyDrive, since it is already a Windows Live service that was leveraged.

I suggest that you post to the forums for Windows Live Mesh -- 

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

Since this is an old thread, from the early beta days of Live Mesh beta, I'm locking the thread.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:58 PM