Invalid Windows XP Product Key on Certificate of Authenticity RRS feed

• Question

• The company that I work for has purchased 30 IBM Z-Pro, (machine type 6221-38U and 46U) systems.  As part of the purchase agreement with the origional owner we have to wipe the sensitive data from each hard drive and reinstall the Origional OS.  Each system has the official IBM Windows XP certificate of Authenticity sticker on the top of the machine with a unique product key.  I have installed Windows XP from the only OEM install media that they supplied with the machines, on about 6 or 7 of the systems using the unique produck key on the top of each machine.  Now however when I go to activate the the Windows XP installation I get a invalid product Key message.

I went to the Microsoft Windows validation web site and ran their utility that creates a validation report.  The report shows the that the Installation was not validated with a validation return code of 1.  The report also shows the correct last 15 characters of the product KEY.  Can anyone help me get these machines installed with a fresh install of Windows XP and validated???
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 11:41 PM

Answers

•  

If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP by phone:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click 'Start', point to 'All Programs', point to 'Accessories', point to 'System Tools', and then click 'Activate Windows'.
      Or,
    click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).
      Or,
    clicking Start button, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.  

3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
     "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows". 

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:12 AM