Home server installation... RRS feed

• Question

• ... I just purchased home server, and a server to go along with it.  Being somewhat new to all of this, I am attempting to install and setup this server on my own.  Of course, that is usually a  mistake and it seems that it might be a little more than I can handle on my own.  There are two things I need to know.  I have created a driver disk using the server software that was included with my server, WHS installs, reboots, goes to the setup screen, then boom.... bsod.  I have tried about 4 times to install it, reformating the HD each time.  Here is the information on the server that I have... hardware is not one of my stronger points...

External 5.25" Drive Bays:  2
      External 3.5" Drive Bays:  1
      Internal 3.5" Drive Bays:  3
      Processor Brand:  Intel®
      Processor Class:  Xeon
      Processor Number:  X3220
      Processor Speed:  2.40GHz
      Processor Interface:  Socket 775
      Processors Supported:  1
      Additional Technologies:  Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology, Virtualization, Quad-Core
      Memory Type:  DDR2
      Memory Size:  1 GB
      Total Memory:  4 GB
      Memory Speed:  DDR2 667 (PC2-5400)
      Compatible RAID Levels:  0
      Total Storage Capacity:  750 GB
      Number Of Hard Drives:  3
      Hard Drive Size:  250 GB
      Hard Drive Interface:  SATA-300
      Spindle Speed (RPM):  7200
      Buffer Memory:  8 MB
      Optical Drive Type:  20x DVD±RW Dual Layer Lightscribe
      Communications Description:  Quad Integrated LAN
      Interface Type:  RJ-45
      Data Transfer Rate:  1000 Mbps
      100 Mbps
      10 Mbps
      Power:  585 Wat

There is also a WD 320 GB SATA HD that is inside the tower.  It is the only HD that is hooked up right now since I read somewhere else in the Forums to try and use only one HD and then re hook up the other ones at after installation.  I put that HD in and used it because it said that there was 300 GB needed and the other 3 HD are only 250 a piece.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dallas

EDIT:  Forgot to put this in.  This is the BSOD error I get.

***STOP 0X0000007B (0XF789EA94, 0X0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

It is the same thing every time.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 6:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    while you made a nice list, I miss any information mentioning the chipset. I assume it's Intel?
    Anyway, stop 0x7B usually points to issues with the mass storage driver. According to your description you missed the stage in the blue screen setup mode, which requires you to press F6 relatively fast to provide the drivers again (this time on a floppy drive). Unfortunately the driver is not always copied to the installation folders, so that it gets missed again after the first reboot.
    You have the chance to do it that way (F6, floppy) or you can try to set the SATA controller in the Bios to run in IDE (ATA/PATA) compatibility mode. (A last method would invoke a BartPE, Vista or Server 2003 boot disk, opening a command prompt here and copy the driver files to C:\Windows\system32\drivers and the inf files to C:\Windows\inf (and after that swap in the WHS disk again) before rebooting, so that setup can continue.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    while you made a nice list, I miss any information mentioning the chipset. I assume it's Intel?
    Anyway, stop 0x7B usually points to issues with the mass storage driver. According to your description you missed the stage in the blue screen setup mode, which requires you to press F6 relatively fast to provide the drivers again (this time on a floppy drive). Unfortunately the driver is not always copied to the installation folders, so that it gets missed again after the first reboot.
    You have the chance to do it that way (F6, floppy) or you can try to set the SATA controller in the Bios to run in IDE (ATA/PATA) compatibility mode. (A last method would invoke a BartPE, Vista or Server 2003 boot disk, opening a command prompt here and copy the driver files to C:\Windows\system32\drivers and the inf files to C:\Windows\inf (and after that swap in the WHS disk again) before rebooting, so that setup can continue.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:33 AM
  • Hey Olaf, sorry it took me so long to respond to this.  You hit the nail on the head though.  I was starting it up and turning to something else, and missed the f6 command about 6 times.  When I finally noticed the f6, threw in the floppy, everything worked great.  I was afraid this whole thing was going to be way more complicated than it was.  But after I got past that, it was a piece of cake.  Easy set up, and easy networking.  Love it so far.  Thanks for your help.

Dallas
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:51 AM