Notification of Backup Failures RRS feed

• General discussion

• I had a puzzling experience with my newly installed WHS as to backups.  (I have 2 computers, a desktop wired to the router, and a wireless connected laptop . . . both running XP Pro.)  I'm about to add more clients.  I'd like to suggest a minor improvement in the WHS code that would be most helpful.

As I understand the WHS architecture, backups are 'configured' at the server, but at the appointed time, the backup of any specific client is initiated by the client, not the server.  (I have no quarrels with the design as such.)

With my newly built DIY server, as you can imagine, I was double-checking every function I could think of.  Every morning, I'd log into the WHS console, to learn that the backups were done in early morning!!!  However, about day 5 or so, I found out that the desktop was backed up, but no record of the laptop (remember, wireless)!  No alerts, nothing . . .  Hence, my puzzlement.

The answer is that my router was failing.   Thankfully, the next day it died completely, so I had an obvious clue to the problem.  When I replaced the unit under warranty, all was again well.  (You're dying to know . . . it's a Netgear WNR854T model.)

Thinking about the architecture again, I'd like to suggest that WHS, via email, "network status flag", whatever, alerts me when a configured, scheduled backup either fails or does not occur, for WHATEVER reason, even because the client is powered off.  I'm not concerned that I get too many alerts; I'm more concerned that everything I expect to happen, does.

Ron

Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:19 PM

All replies

• If you install the Windows Home Server Toolkit, you have the ability to configure backup warning thresholds on a per-PC basis.
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:31 PM
  • The Remote Notification Add-In will send you email alerts corresponding to any adverse Network Health messages (like failed or missed backups). You would need to use the Toolkit to trigger the Health warning at 1 missed backup.

The WHS Event Monitor Add-In will send out emails depending on entries in the Event Log. I use this to send out advisory emails of completed backups.

We Got Served had a comprehensive list of current Add-Ins - http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/windows-home-server-add-ins/

Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:17 PM
  • Ken and Dave,

Thanks for clueing me in on how to get these alerts.   BTW, the nature of my router's progressive failure did not result in any Network Health messages from WHS prior to the router's death.  Of course, at that point, nobody was talking to anybody!

Ron

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:04 PM