authentic installation of Office not validating correctly RRS feed

• Question

• My PC at work has Outlook 2003 and Windows XP, both authentic and activated versions.  I needed to install the update for Outlook 2003 to add the holidays from 2008 onwards from the link at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=32C24709-50B5-4698-B5CB-BE7D6765FE3A&displaylang=en

However this update needs validation, and fails.

The failure appears to be due to the fact that we previously had a valid version of MS Project 2002 standard on this computer before I received it, however the installation of Project was removed before I started using the computer in 2005.  The licences for MS Office 2002 (Word/Excel/Access), Windows XP, and Outlook 2003 are all valid and pass validation okay.  The code given is 0x80180101.  There is no version of Project 2002 no longer on my computer, but this is somehow stopping the validation process from validating my PC, preventing me downloading the update for the valid copy of Outlook 2003.

Results from the diagnostic tool are for Windows tab:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2MDY9-F6J9M-K42BQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: jY+nlE0RT38EEXpeUqSdQPABSQc=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2211906-00101
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {0DC91DEF-C078-48DD-8EE3-32A0782E5FA6}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-531-645_77F760FE-152-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{0DC91DEF-C078-48DD-8EE3-32A0782E5FA6}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-K42BQ</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2211906-00101</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3003908324-3953165437-63027864</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>Workstation xw6000</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>686O4 v1.09</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20021018000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>4AFB381701843A52</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>1</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Hewlett-Packard</name><model>Workstation xw6000</model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>1053EF9CC594C72</Val><Hash>i826VNU+DGBliNKKvU8hrV5njME=</Hash><Pid>54186-640-4603456-17187</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{923A0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Project Standard 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>91B20FED3724E00</Val><Hash>x2AwbNwllw4m7Of5RcSAqPm5Cp0=</Hash><Pid>56221-700-0000007-16865</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{90E00409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Outlook 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>6E990CE9C6B1D00</Val><Hash>0I+VrkllIuLsWA3RQj+TnJX9lNY=</Hash><Pid>73930-640-0000086-55962</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

But as I said, if you try to activate Office it comes up saying this product is already activated.

This is what the website says when trying to validate:

This computer has failed validation. Expand for details.

Microsoft Office XP Professional

The product(s) listed above completed validation. However, as a result of the failed or incomplete validation(s) listed below, this computer is not eligible for the benefits of genuine Office. Remove the application(s) that failed or could not complete validation and run the validation tool again.

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

The product(s) listed above completed validation. However, as a result of the failed or incomplete validation(s) listed below, this computer is not eligible for the benefits of genuine Office. Remove the application(s) that failed or could not complete validation and run the validation tool again.

Microsoft Project Standard 2002:
    Validation Incomplete: Office Must Be Activated

The validation process could not be completed because your copy of Microsoft Office has not been activated.

Activate Office now
    • Start any Office application. The activation wizard will walk you through the steps required to activate Office.
    • For additional instructions, or if you have problems activating Office and Office applications, visit knowledge base article # 828958. To learn more about benefits of product activation, visit the How to Tell site.
    I was unable to activate Office

If you are unable to activate Office by following the steps above or using the methods in the knowledge base article, the copy of Office on your computer may be counterfeit or may have been installed incorrectly.

What could prevent activation?
    • If your computer is new, the copy of Office installed on your computer may be counterfeit or may have been incorrectly installed.
    • If Office was installed or upgraded on an existing computer:
      • The copy of Office you installed on your computer may be counterfeit.
      • A third party, such as a repair shop, may have installed Office incorrectly or used a counterfeit copy.

As I've said above, there's no copy of Project installed on this computer, and it doesn't show up in the add/remove programs applet in control panel.

Please advise.

Regards,

James Head

Crowcon Detection Instruments Ltd.

Unit 2 Blacklands Way

Abingdon Business Park

Abingdon

UK

OX14 1DY

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:36 AM

Answers

• James,

Project Standard 2002 is not activated and may be causing the problem. 

Your issue appears to be outside the scope of the Genuine Advantage forum. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide the following information. Please review knowledge base article (KB) How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate a 2007 Office product @:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919895, and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us for Office Suites 2003 and below.  The links will provide resolutions supporting Office Suites. However if the issue persists I would recommend you contact Microsoft Office support at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/assistsupport and choosing your product to create a support incident.

There are two methods for activating Office; telephone and the Internet which is the easier of the two methods. To activate the product by using the Internet, follow these steps:

For Microsoft Office 2007, follow these steps:

1)      Start any office program.

2)      In the Office Activation Wizard, click the “Activate by using Internet” option, and then click “Next”.

3)      Click “Submit” to send your information to the Microsoft licensing servers.

NOTE:  When your information is validated, the “Activation Complete” page appears.  Then, you can use the Office programs.  You will not have to activate Office in the future.

4)      Click “Finish”

Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for your version of Office:

1)      Start any Office program.

2)      In the “Office Activation Wizard”, click the “Activate by using the telephone” option, and then click Next

3)      Read the “Microsoft Office Privacy Policy” page, and then click “Next”.
    Note You are not required to read the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy to continue these steps in Microsoft Office 2007. A link to the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy is provided so that you can read it at any time.

4)      In the “Select your location” list, select a country or region. Call the telephone number that is listed on line 2. The customer service agent will ask you for the installation ID and will give you a confirmation ID in return. Type the confirmation ID in the boxes provided.

5)      Click “Next”.

6)      On the “Activation Complete” page, click “Finish”.

Please reference the following site for activation and registration centers for Microsoft products:   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851 .  The KB article will provide numbers to call for activating Microsoft products.  Should you need further guidance please post your question/s to the Windows XP General newsgroup forum located here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?query=activation&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=B0DE109D-10E1-4C3C-BCC9-8EB7A22FC6A0&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us . 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 9:48 PM

All replies

• Can you try the following steps?  Please make sure you have your product key (for Office) available.

1) Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\
    2) Delete the data.dat file.
    3) This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA).
    4) Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word (or your own personal favorite) and ACTIVATE it.
    5) After product activation is successful, try revalidating (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage) by visiting: 
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine  and click "Validate Office"

Please let us know if this resolves the problem.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 6:55 PM
  • James,

Project Standard 2002 is not activated and may be causing the problem. 

Your issue appears to be outside the scope of the Genuine Advantage forum. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide the following information. Please review knowledge base article (KB) How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate a 2007 Office product @:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919895, and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us for Office Suites 2003 and below.  The links will provide resolutions supporting Office Suites. However if the issue persists I would recommend you contact Microsoft Office support at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/assistsupport and choosing your product to create a support incident.

There are two methods for activating Office; telephone and the Internet which is the easier of the two methods. To activate the product by using the Internet, follow these steps:

For Microsoft Office 2007, follow these steps:

1)      Start any office program.

2)      In the Office Activation Wizard, click the “Activate by using Internet” option, and then click “Next”.

3)      Click “Submit” to send your information to the Microsoft licensing servers.

NOTE:  When your information is validated, the “Activation Complete” page appears.  Then, you can use the Office programs.  You will not have to activate Office in the future.

4)      Click “Finish”

Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for your version of Office:

1)      Start any Office program.

2)      In the “Office Activation Wizard”, click the “Activate by using the telephone” option, and then click Next

3)      Read the “Microsoft Office Privacy Policy” page, and then click “Next”.
    Note You are not required to read the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy to continue these steps in Microsoft Office 2007. A link to the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy is provided so that you can read it at any time.

4)      In the “Select your location” list, select a country or region. Call the telephone number that is listed on line 2. The customer service agent will ask you for the installation ID and will give you a confirmation ID in return. Type the confirmation ID in the boxes provided.

5)      Click “Next”.

6)      On the “Activation Complete” page, click “Finish”.

Please reference the following site for activation and registration centers for Microsoft products:   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851 .  The KB article will provide numbers to call for activating Microsoft products.  Should you need further guidance please post your question/s to the Windows XP General newsgroup forum located here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?query=activation&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=B0DE109D-10E1-4C3C-BCC9-8EB7A22FC6A0&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us . 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.  I have to get our IT department to try these fixes though, and I'll to wait until they get around to me.

I am a little unsure why this issue appears outside the scope of the Genuine Advantage forum as it does involve my not being able to install an MS Office update to a perfecty valid installation of MS Office.

Regards,

James

Monday, January 7, 2008 11:24 AM