Cannot Find Backup's On Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• i don't know where my backup from my laptop has been stored because it is not in my Shared Folders can you tell me where it is saved
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:16 PM

All replies

• i don't know where my backup from my laptop has been stored because it is not in my Shared Folders can you tell me where it is saved

Hi,

The backup database isn't stored in any of the shared folders and you can't browse it "on" the server. In order to access files from a backup, a restore is necessary.

Please see:

The technical brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore
    Getting Started Guide

If you would like to access files via your shares, please copy files to the shares.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Marked as answer by iPower X2 Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:47 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by iPower X2 Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:57 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:33 PM
  • thanks so much i can now access my files from every where =)
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:47 PM
  • ohhhh my .... there is now an error saying "Cannot mount the back up" it worked the first time and i was transfering files to my shared folder but it will not work now
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Cannot mount the backup can have various reasons.
    One could be, that you use Windows 7 Beta (not the Release Candidate, which is available since a few days). This had a bug, which did let you access the backups a single time, and then never again from that installation.
    Also your server should be patched to the latest version using the update button in the console. Which version number is shown in Settings/Ressources?
    Some later patches removed a few bugs, which blocked mounting.
    And last but not least your backup database could be corrupt.
    Do you see an error related to the failure in the event log of the client?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:08 PM
  • i can't see the version number :S
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:17 PM
  • which verison number
    ?

oh and i am running vista basic other computers are running xp pro
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:18 PM
  • which verison number
    ?

oh and i am running vista basic other computers are running xp pro

Are you logged into the Windows Home Server Console? If you are, you need to go settings>resources and then there will be a group of numbers. If you have the most recent Power Pack, they will end in 2030.

If you are running the RC of Windows 7, it will say 7100 on the watermark in the lower right hand corner of the screen or you can type winver in the search box and it will provide you with the build number. Note, this won't work well on the server because it is based on Windows Server 2003. You need to get the version from the console.

Thank you
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:45 PM
  • yes they do end in 2030.0 and i am logged into Windows Home Server Console from my laptop
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 9:07 PM
  • yes they do end in 2030.0 and i am logged into Windows Home Server Console from my laptop

1. Which computer is this happening on? What OS? The Vista basic?
    2. Does this happen on your other computers? i.e can you do a restore with the same file?
    3. If this happens on only one computer what is different about that computer from the others? Software/OS/hardware
    4. If this happens on all computers, please file a bug on Connect and include client and server cabs. If you have never submitted a bug on Connect before, you may have to register and then join the program.

Thank you
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 9:16 PM
  • it is my only vista computer doing it does not happen on other computers the hardware is different well the laptop is the newest thing in the house
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 9:35 PM