Unable to update WHS via the WHS Console RRS feed

• Question

• I have just gone from the trial to the full version of WHS and I'm faced with a couple of issues that weren't present in the evaluation build. Firstly whenever I try to update WHS from the console it stops responding. I have built my home server around an Intel D510MO Atom motherboard with 2GB DDR2 RAM(2x1GB) and it's running Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3 and I have F-Secure Home Server Security installed as an add in. What is strange is that if I use RDC I can update the server fine but whenever I try from the console it just stops responding and displays the timer on the cursor. It stays like this resulting in me having to shut down the console. Thanks in advance to anyone who may know what is causing this.

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:41 AM

Answers

• Well I reinstalled and it can now update via the console so it must have got corrupt for some reason
    • Marked as answer by Mightee Mo Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:57 AM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:57 AM

All replies

• You have to give it a couple of minutes - there is no feedback other than the sand timer pointer icon.  At the end you either should get a message box stating "There are no updates for Windows Home Server" or the updates should download and install.
    --
    Monday, March 29, 2010 10:03 AM
  • I left it for 10 minutes still no change? This isn't normal I gather?
    Monday, March 29, 2010 11:23 AM
  • No it's not normal.  Does the same thing happen if F-Secure isn't installed?  Have you any warnings in Event Viewer when you try and do the update?
    --
    Monday, March 29, 2010 12:08 PM
  • I'll try again for another 10 minutes then I'll check Event Viewer. When I had the evaluation version, it worked perfectly and now I have spent £70 on the full version I have all these problems.

EDIT: I checked Event Viewer and nothing to do with Windows Update could be located there yet F-Secure had numerous errors in the application folder

Monday, March 29, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Which version number is shown in the console under Settings/Ressources?

If you use Remote Desktop to connect to your server, can it reach the Internet (and the Microsoft websites in Internet Explorer)?

Since you performed a fresh install, did you run the console from a client or a server - if the later, does it already have network drivers installed (check in device manager)?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:07 PM
  • Did you have F-secure when you had the trial version?  It shouldn't take long to uninstall F-Secure and check if Windows Update works from the console.
    --
    Monday, March 29, 2010 9:12 PM
  • The version number is (can't access the console now will try again later)

The server can connect to the internet and has network drivers installed

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:05 AM
  • I have reinstalled WHS and it is a total failure. The console is incomplete and is missing the storage and backup tabs and the settings are missing too. What is wrong with my server? The Evaluation version worked fine. If I had've known the OEM version was like this I would have not invested in it.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:31 PM
  • The console is working again, how long for I don't know but the version is 6.0.2423.0
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:09 PM
  • The console is working again, how long for I don't know but the version is 6.0.2423.0

this is the most current version with Power Pack 3.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:19 PM
  • Well I reinstalled and it can now update via the console so it must have got corrupt for some reason
    • Marked as answer by Mightee Mo Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:57 AM
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:57 AM