Remote access troubles RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a very hard time getting remote access to work on my new WHS :( I turned on remote access and let WHS do its thing as it configures my router and everything, but after its all done I am unable to connect to the site locally or remotely. I have set my WHS to a static IP and set a DHCP reservation of the same IP for it on my router and attempted to forward port 80, 443, and 4125 with no luck....and thats pretty much where I ran out of ideas.

some info that might help:
    Router: D-link DIR-615
    Modem: Motorola SB5101 SURFboard cable modem
    ISP: shaw cable
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:52 AM

All replies

• I have started having trouble with this as well and using the same router. It was working beautifully for months. Now WHS tells me that Port Forwarding is not working. When I try to 'repair' it, nothing changes and I receive a message that a local web server or firewall issue may have occured. I updated the firmware on the router with no change in results. Looking for suggestions. Thank you.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:59 PM
  • solved it! For some reason the system date and time on the server was out of whack. Once I set it to current, all was restored. We had a power outage last week during some storms and I suspect that was the cause.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 4:35 PM
  • I am having a very hard time getting remote access to work on my new WHS :( I turned on remote access and let WHS do its thing as it configures my router and everything, but after its all done I am unable to connect to the site locally or remotely. I have set my WHS to a static IP and set a DHCP reservation of the same IP for it on my router and attempted to forward port 80, 443, and 4125 with no luck....and thats pretty much where I ran out of ideas.

some info that might help:
    Router: D-link DIR-615
    Modem: Motorola SB5101 SURFboard cable modem
    ISP: shaw cable

Can you go to Shields Up!, do a port scan for ports 80, 443, and 4125, then post the results here?
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Results from scan of ports: 80, 443, 4125
    2 Ports Open
    1 Ports Closed 0 Ports Stealth ---------------------
    3 Ports Tested
    NO PORTS were found to be STEALTH.
    The port found to be CLOSED was: 4125
    Other than what is listed above, all ports are OPEN.
    TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
    - NO unsolicited packets were received,
    - A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

p.s. I'm pretty sure I managed for forward port 4125 in my router...but I'm still pretty green with networking
    • Edited by punjad Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:21 AM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:37 AM
  • little bit of an update. I did manage to access the server via internal IP address. Also i am getting conflicting information about my port 4125. "Shields up" is telling me its not open, but when i tried Portforward.com's port checker it told me that 4125 is open.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:15 AM
  • Shields Up! and portforward.com are both reporting correct (by their lights) information. "Closed" from Shields Up! indicates that the site received a "denied" when it attempted to open that port. For Windows Home Server port 4125, that's normal if your router is properly configured.

The other Shields Up! responses: "Open" means that the request was accepted (normal for ports 80 and 443), and "Stealth" means that no response was received to the open request. "Stealth" is actually a non-standard response, per the relevant RFCs. Any port with a listener is supposed to provide an "affirmative denial" when an open request is received but not allowed. "Stealth" makes it look like there's no listener on that port, which (obviously) is likely to be a better response considering that the Internet is a scary place, full of lions and tigers and bears. (Oh, my! :) )

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:43 PM
  • thanks for the info :) I'm not too sure how to proceed from here. I'm guessing that port 4125 is my problem but have no idea how to open it. I made sure that windows firewall has exeptions for it, forwarded the port to a static ip (192.168.0.110) for the server. what else can i try?
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:21 AM
  • thanks for the info :) I'm not too sure how to proceed from here. I'm guessing that port 4125 is my problem but have no idea how to open it. I made sure that windows firewall has exeptions for it, forwarded the port to a static ip (192.168.0.110) for the server. what else can i try?

Actually, based on your results, it should work as is.  (4125 should report as closed when it's working properly.)  Have you tried connecting to your website from outside your LAN?  If so, what happens?  What about using your external IP address (instead of your homeserver.com domain name)?  Are you connecting from somewhere that might block some ports (i.e. your workplace)?
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:32 AM