Onecare Express Backup too large RRS feed

• Question

• When Onecare completes a weekly express backup (either automatically or manually) the file sizes are nearly as big as the initial full backup, even though only a small fraction of the files were modified.  For example, the first backup in the current series was last week. The full backup totaled 120,000 files compressed into 65 Zip files totaling 2.98 Gb. Today's express backup totaled only 851 files which were compressed into 24 Zip files totalling 1.06 Gb!

What is going on here? I have experienced this problem ever since I started using Onecare backups. I thought Express backup only new or changed files since the last backup. There is no way that last weeks activity generated that many new or changed files. No videos or pictures were added or saved this week. The total unzipped size of the new and changed files probably totaled no more than 50Kb.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:24 PM

Answers

• It would appear that something is touching your 851 files, causing OneCare backup to see them as changed or new. Without knowing what files these are, I can't begin to speculate what the reason for this is. Upon completion of backup, you should be able to view the details of what was backed up, which may reveal something to explain the reasons for the change. Note, for example, that media files are often updated by other programs even if you do not open these files directly. This can be due to the DRM licenses being refreshed, for example, or meta data being updated.
    Since the entire 120K files are not being backed up each time, it is clear that OneCare is working as designed.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:55 PM

All replies

• Correction: The total unzipped size of the new and changed files probably totaled no more than 50Mb.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:42 PM
  • It would appear that something is touching your 851 files, causing OneCare backup to see them as changed or new. Without knowing what files these are, I can't begin to speculate what the reason for this is. Upon completion of backup, you should be able to view the details of what was backed up, which may reveal something to explain the reasons for the change. Note, for example, that media files are often updated by other programs even if you do not open these files directly. This can be due to the DRM licenses being refreshed, for example, or meta data being updated.
    Since the entire 120K files are not being backed up each time, it is clear that OneCare is working as designed.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:55 PM
  • It's not that the number files were backed up that bothers me, it's the size. I checked all the boxes for the files that were backed up today and they all seem reasonable... no more than 20-30 Mb for all 851 files... unzipped!

The 1.0 Gb size of the zipped files for a one week express backup that is a concern. A gig a week is pretty wasteful for backing up only 20MB of files. What could be going on?
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 10:41 PM
  • Without having the ability to see what you are seeing on the PC, I can't tell you why it appears that the express backup is using 1 gig of data. The best that I can suggest is that you check the file size of the entire folder before the backup runs and again after it runs to determine the delta or newly used space. If that still shows a new usage of 1 gig per week, please contact support for assistance. They can remote into your machine if needed.
    -steve
    Monday, July 13, 2009 1:01 PM
  • This week the Onecare express backup saved 24 Zip files averaging 44Mb each for a total of 1.06 Gb new files in the 2009 folder on the backup storage device. I will check it again next Sunday and contact support if the file sizes seem excessive. I will let you know the outcome one way or the other.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 1:50 PM