What happens when the console isn't loaded? RRS feed

• Question

• Let's say I write an add-in that is loaded into the tabs of the console.  What happens if the user doesn't have the console loaded?  Will the code still fire that is in the console? (i.e., is it always running even if the user isn't logged into it?)  Pardon me if this question is "dumb" but I'm still trying to get my head around how WHS works.

Let me expand on this.  Let's say I want to send a pop-up to all clients on the WHS network when an event happens.  Over on WHS Console I have a tab where the user types in their ZIP and it connects up to traffic data streams on the web.

Do I need to write a SERVICE that runs on WHS in Windows Services that is constantly running to query the web service on another machine -- or can I simply stick all that logic into the WHS tab code?

Do I put the logic for the pop-ups in the WHS tab code or in the Windows Service code?  Inquiring minds want to know!

www.robertstinnett.com
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:36 PM

Answers

• I may have found my answer watching the PDC 2008 demos -- put long-running code as a service.

www.robertstinnett.com
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:45 PM

All replies