Backup Options RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm currently running Beta v2.0 of OneCare, sofar i'm impressed with it EXCEPT for backup.

Forgive me if i'm missing the obvious, but you seem to be unable to manually sellect files and folders to backup. After noticing this I decided to test the restore function, is it just me or do we have no control over the restore function. You sould be able to browse the backup (not just search) and select where you wish to restore to (eg c:/temp)

Really this is a deal breaker for me as the backup and tuneup features are what set Onecare above the rest, but untill it has the ability to do what I mentioned above, I will not be purchasing Onecare.

If this is just a beta quirk, please let me know and I will purchase ASAP.

Regards

MORGiON

Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hey scortch,

What ever is shown on the advanced exclude page ( folder selection ) gets ONLY backed up . So in case of your example:  temp inet folder will NOT GET backed up if it is not showing . I suppose there is a link inside the folder selecion page there ( number of files getting backed up ) which shows which all files will finally get backed up  . So In conclusion ,

if some file is (listed in that link)  ready to be backed up : Then we also have the ability to exclude that folder/file from the backup

if some folder is not present/shown  : it does not get backed up .

although i agree that , for system folders/files , we should have the control to include/exclude them from the backup . Currently they are by default excluded and we cannot include them .

please Refer to : http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1861939&SiteID=2 this post for further details

Hope that helps !

-Rock

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:15 PM

All replies

• You can manually select a lot of files but, there are times that you can not choose what to include or not include. I would like to exclude temporary internet files but, the program will not even show that folder.

I agree on restore. Someone else mentioned it in another thread. Restore should let you restore to any location. The restore location may not exist on your new setup or whatever.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 2:36 PM
  • How can you manually select alot of files?

For eg how would I select

e:/storage/demos

or

e:/storage/demos/battlefield.zip

Thanx

Sunday, July 15, 2007 12:31 AM
  • Yea, as I said, there are times you can't and you right. I mentioned that in another thread and we just simply need to have FULL selection of what to include and not include, even system files/folders.

A simple interface showing all drives, files and folders to choose from.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:22 AM
  • Exactly, which is odd as v1.5 had this ability.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 3:06 AM
  • The ability to add drives, folders, and files to a backup is there. It is just a little hard to find in the interface. I'm not at a pc with 2.0 at the moment, so can't give you the steps to get there.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:46 PM
  • Hi,

You can manually select a lot of files .  Open the Backup Configuration wizard , click on the 'change this' link  . You will come up with a category selection page . Here you can include/exclude different category files e.g. picture , music , document , other etc

For advanced options. Click on the exclude folder link ( bottom left ) on this category page . You will enter the folder selection Page where you can manually select folder/individual files for those selected categories by checking/unchecking the folder nodes.

Hope it helps . Let me know , if it doesnt work out .

Also please note that 'Other' category contains by default all file types which donot belong to the mentioned categories ( pic , music , docs etc ).

- Rock

Monday, July 16, 2007 10:26 AM
  • Good post thanx Duke_Of_Wizard,

It seems to work to a degree, but quirky. For egsample for my test run I used the other category and excluded everything except my documents, favorites and my guild wars templates folders. I then ran the backup, it seems though that things like word docs etc arn't backed up unless you select the relevant category. Thankyou Duke, with your info I was able to accomplish more than I was previousaly able to.

Well these are the issues I'm having, prehaps if Steve could look into it, or pass some info onto the developers, as I beleive its a major oversight (unless i'm missing the obvious).

Well for the way I like my backups done, this is going to take quite a while to configure (can we go back to the old v1.5 method please). Just browse and select the files & folders you want to backup, not all users need the category interface (as you need to configure each category to exclude the rubbish you dont need)

But then I tested the restore feature, all I want is to be able to dump the whole or parts of the backup to for egsample C:\temp as I prefer to manually restore my files and for a fresh install of windows I like to  import email from the old pst file but I seem to be unable to do this.

Please the SIMPLE ability to manually select files & folders to backup and the ability to restore to a manually selected folder is a feature of EVERY backup program that I have ever tried, Onecare really seems to be the complete solution for me, IF the over simplified backup interface is corrected.

Regards

MORGiON

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:25 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

The ability to add drives, folders, and files to a backup is there. It is just a little hard to find in the interface. I'm not at a pc with 2.0 at the moment, so can't give you the steps to get there.

-steve

Hi Steve,

Thankyou for your post, it has me interested. Please post relevent info for manually selecting backup files and folders when you are able. Could you also help out with the restore issue (if possible) I eloborate on it in the post to Duke_OF_Wizard below.

Regards

MORGiON

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:27 PM
  •  MORGiON wrote:

Good post thanx Duke_Of_Wizard,

It seems to work to a degree, but quirky. For egsample for my test run I used the other category and excluded everything except my documents, favorites and my guild wars templates folders. I then ran the backup, it seems though that things like word docs etc arn't backed up unless you select the relevant category. Thankyou Duke, with your info I was able to accomplish more than I was previousaly able to.

Well these are the issues I'm having, prehaps if Steve could look into it, or pass some info onto the developers, as I beleive its a major oversight (unless i'm missing the obvious).

Well for the way I like my backups done, this is going to take quite a while to configure (can we go back to the old v1.5 method please). Just browse and select the files & folders you want to backup, not all users need the category interface (as you need to configure each category to exclude the rubbish you dont need)

But then I tested the restore feature, all I want is to be able to dump the whole or parts of the backup to for egsample C:\temp as I prefer to manually restore my files and for a fresh install of windows I like to  import email from the old pst file but I seem to be unable to do this.

Please the SIMPLE ability to manually select files & folders to backup and the ability to restore to a manually selected folder is a feature of EVERY backup program that I have ever tried, Onecare really seems to be the complete solution for me, IF the over simplified backup interface is corrected.

Regards

MORGiON

I share this frustration -- I have gone back to earlier (non-beta) version because I can't stand the loss of control over backups.

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:55 PM
  • Hi ,

It seems like it is not the same as the previous version . As far as i understood , in the category selection page , we need to check/uncheck the categories we need to backup . This will make sure that only your particular categories will be backed up .

But if you try the e advanced configuration ( by clicking on the exclude folder and files link  ) , then for those selected categories ONLY , the particular folders/files where are selected will only get backed up .

So for example :

if i select Music, Document and Outlook categories. Then files belonging to these categories will only be backed up from the entire pc.

Then if i go to advance configuration , and deselect say 'My documents folder' . Then no file from that folder will be backed up of the selected categories.

Although i agree that it takes more time to configure your backup than previous version .

Also you are correct that  the restore of files and folders folders gives a totally different UX and restoring a particular folder is difficult

Monday, July 16, 2007 1:48 PM
  • Hi again Duke,

You seem to have confirmed all I suspected about backing up, I think it's a rather silly and arse about method that the dev team has come up with.

You also say that restoring to a particular folder is difficult? that means its possible? if so, could you please give instruction or posta link to some instructions?

Thankyou you have been very helpfull.

Monday, July 16, 2007 1:57 PM
  • Most of us are aware of the change link and the categories. The method in 2.0 leaves a lot to be desired though and even though you have categories, we know that those categories don't cover everything you may want to backup regularly. That's why we need an Include section that allows us to choose ANY file/folder/Drive, even system folders, that would fit in the OTHER files category. The same goes for exclude, we need to be able to choose ANY file/Folder/Drive, even system ones. I don't like backing up temp inet folders for instance. It's just a waste of space and time but, when you click on exclude, it doesn't show that folder. That's just an example.

It's nice to have categories but, we need a FULL control include and exclude link also.

If you are going ot have a backup feature, why not make it as full featured and robust as possible with full control? By leaving a lot out, (for maybe fear of competitors whining?), it just forces us to use other backup programs which will take up even more memory and resources running in the background and then makes this one obsolete. If I am going to have one care running all the time, I would like to have the backup feature enabled since OC has to run all the time anyway also. The heck with those other companies.

Monday, July 16, 2007 4:46 PM
  •  Scortch wrote:
     If you are going ot have a backup feature, why not make it as full featured and robust as possible with full control? By leaving a lot out, (for maybe fear of competitors whining?), it just forces us to use other backup programs which will take up even more memory and resources running in the background and then makes this one obsolete. If I am going to have one care running all the time, I would like to have the backup feature enabled since OC has to run all the time anyway also. The heck with those other companies.

I don't think they have to worry about the competitors with this one, as its a stand alone retail product. Though if they start to bundle with the OS......(I personally would not mind this as I think it's their right to)

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:01 PM
  • Hey scortch,

What ever is shown on the advanced exclude page ( folder selection ) gets ONLY backed up . So in case of your example:  temp inet folder will NOT GET backed up if it is not showing . I suppose there is a link inside the folder selecion page there ( number of files getting backed up ) which shows which all files will finally get backed up  . So In conclusion ,

if some file is (listed in that link)  ready to be backed up : Then we also have the ability to exclude that folder/file from the backup

if some folder is not present/shown  : it does not get backed up .

although i agree that , for system folders/files , we should have the control to include/exclude them from the backup . Currently they are by default excluded and we cannot include them .

please Refer to : http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1861939&SiteID=2 this post for further details

Hope that helps !

-Rock

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:15 PM