three xp computers, problem with home network RRS feed

• Question

• I set up a workgroup on three xp computers, all operating off a shared router. computer 1 sees all on computer 2, but only c: folder on computer 3. computer 2 can only see the c: folder on computer 3 and like 1 can not see subfolders (you get the standard message you do not have access to this folder, check with administrator). Computers 2 and 3 when you go to network places and workgroup computers and click on the icon for the identity of computer 1, give that standard error message). In essence although computers 2 and 3 are aware of computer 1, they are denying access. I have simple file sharing off on all computers and the c: drive is shared on all with ownership as everyone with all possible options (read, write, modify etc) set on.

There is a further problem in that computer 2 when turned off and back on, or even sometimes when running suddenly loses even the listing of computer 1 as being on the workgroup.

Can anybody explain what is going on, any help much appreciated :)

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:31 PM forum consolidation (From:Networking)
    Friday, October 1, 2010 1:43 AM

All replies

• try turning off the firewalls. instead use 3rd party programs (anti-virus) for security. anyway may i ask what OS are you using?

xes,

xesman
    Monday, December 6, 2010 7:02 AM