adCenter feedback & feature requests RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

What features would you like to see in future iterations of adCenter? What's your top ten wish list? Please share your product feedback in this thread - we'll take your ideas back to the team for consideration, and then keep you posted on the feature request queue and any ETA's.

Be sure to let us know "why" a certain feature is important to you.

Thanks!

Carolyn

Friday, July 27, 2007 5:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Carolyn!

I would like a report that shows keyword average position, along with bid data, all in one report.  I need this in order to know whether I need to adjust my bids.  Right now my rep has to run two reports, each with some of this data but not all of it, and I have to manually sort through them both to review positions and bids.  Not very easy to work with.

On the heels of that request is a request for custom reporting in general, where we can select the fields we want.  I would also like to be able to pull reports going back further than 90 days.

Melissa

Friday, July 27, 2007 6:00 PM
  • I'd like to be able to delete all the keywords listed after i do a search in an Adgroup using the "Filter By" tool.  At present, if multiple pages are listed you have to delete the first page of keywords, do the search again, delete that page of keywords, do the search again, etc.  This is EXTREMELY time-consuming.

I'd also like to see this "Filter By" tool available for use with keywords at the campaign level.  Some of my keywords are seasonal and if I could search at the campaign level for keywords then I could do a mass delete instead of having to search through each Adgroup.

Friday, July 27, 2007 9:39 PM
  • A couple of features I would like:

• Ability to pause an ad
    • ability to make multiple keyword changes (ie. more than 20) without having to "continue" to Edit Bids, and then having press back. Same thing goes for editing bids
    • ability to display ads in an even rotation for better A/B testing of ad performance
    • More options for dynamic keyword insertion such as {KeyWord: Default Keyword}. I prefer AdWords's method over this
    • An offline tool for AdCenter, I time out too often when making changes or adding keyword manually
    Monday, July 30, 2007 1:05 PM
  • A couple of features I think would be most helpful are:

• The ability to be able to set adscheduling on an hourly basis
    • The ability to be able to adschedule at campaign level as well as adgroup level
    • When at adgroup level and you go from adgroup to adgroup it would be nice for it to stay on the same page you are working on and not default back to adgroup settings every time
    Many thanks
    Monday, July 30, 2007 1:34 PM
  • 1) Select All button when adding keywords so I don't have to check each match type individually.....especially if adding multiple keywords at one time

2) This one is a HUGE one: please please please please add a line of Totals in your reports, both on screen and when exporting.

3) Better budgeting tools. Trash the monthly budget and let us set a daily spend (that actually works and doesn't use the 'spend until depleted' programming)

4) Ability to pause keywords and ads instead of deleting them

5) Ability to change targeting without having to pause the campaign & adgroup

6) On the "edit bids" screen, let us choose the option to use your estimates or current performance......so frustrating when trying to edit bids and your projections are there instead of what my current spend is.

7) Ability to copy adgroup settings to another adgroup OR elimiate the adgroup settings and set the language/geotargeting/timezone/etc at the campaign level like the other two engines.

Added 7/31:

8) Ability to make changes to campaign settings without having to increase budget if it's close to depletion.

9) Increased geotargeting. Allow to geotarget at the state level and the DMA level; add more cities!!!!

Monday, July 30, 2007 4:53 PM
  • A couple of features I would like:

• Ability to pause an ad
    • ability to make multiple keyword changes (ie. more than 20) without having to "continue" to Edit Bids, and then having press back. Same thing goes for editing bids
    • ability to display ads in an even rotation for better A/B testing of ad performance
    • More options for dynamic keyword insertion such as {KeyWord: Default Keyword}. I prefer AdWords's method over this
    • An offline tool for AdCenter, I time out too often when making changes or adding keyword manually

Totally agreed! Some others maybe -

• Better bulk editing facilities. Especially for importing a list of ad groups - having to manually approve and set a target region for each adgroup takes a long time (ability to do this at campaign-level?)
    • Negative keywords at campaign level.
    • Or....open up the Adcenter API to the public/developers and let us build the apps to take all the pressure off you. :-)
    Cross PPC engine compatibility is crucial - I think Yahoo has, to some extent, recognised this by providing their campaign converter tool but it's only a small step and still fiddly. As Adwords is the main volume driver at the moment, I think anything you guys can do to make moving a campaign from Adwords to Adcenter as painless as possible would be hugely beneficial for everyone.

As an advertiser I could start with a succesful Adwords campaign in Adcenter straight away and then tweak it for Adcenter traffic. This would remove a huge amount of work and would result in a large influx of advertisers to Adcenter as it would become very easy to test this valuable secondary traffic source.

Just some ideas.

Monday, July 30, 2007 10:45 PM
  • The features I would like to see are the ability to view Campaigns/Orders/Keywords by their status i.e Submitted, Paused, All. This will make it easier to view large accounts.
    Also, I would like adcenter to remember which setting i have ordered my account by e.g clicks, cost etc and not change it back when moving between Campaigns/Orders/Keywords.

Thats all for now,

PD
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 11:16 AM
  • Thanks for the opportunity for feature requests, and providing us with "Feature ETA’s"!

Some adCenter strong points: Higher Conversions, Ease of Researching Keywords,

Creating Ad’s, the Bulk Edit Tool, Reporting and Improved Campaign Imports.

I'm sure you have heard most of this before, and hope this does help...

Top 10 Wish List...

1. Capability to Edit Bids on the Keyword Performance Page.

I believe the feature was available before the last iteration of adCenter.

To change bids in “Edit Bids” (cycling through pages/saves) or importing

changes or using multiple screens…can be daunting. We are looking for

an easier/intuitive way to rationalize and enter keyword bids based on

historical performance; this feature request is Numero Uno.

2. Ability to Save “More Than One Page of Edits” at a time.

Consider including a “Save Button” where the Continue Button is located.

Once again, time is of the essence when Administering entries/changes

in adCenter, this is a “must have” feature for some. 

3. Enhance Ease of Use.

Though adCenter appears sophisticated, some consider the tool to be

markedly complicated in some areas. IE: Consider Reducing Number

of Steps to Change a Destination URL, and consider deleting the “pro-rating”

of a first month.

4. Could adCenter run faster?

Some feel, of the online applications, adCenter could.

5. Rejection Report Capability.

We could pre-check and correct a plenty of rejections before calling

for appeal, if we could run a rejection report on multiple campaigns

and adgroups.

6. Improve Targeting.

Increase Traffic if possible. When traffic is low, a parallel campaign targeting

US with geo-specific keywords is required to compliment a targeted campaign.

Show Ad’s Serving when searched (many times a client cannot see their

Ad because their IP address is assigned outside of the targeted area).

Also, Targeting by State would be great!

7. Refine Price Estimation for Accuracy (including targeted campaigns).

Real-Time Data on Grid. Reports are an option with 3 hour delay, though some

clients also would like to see “real time” on the data grid, rather than 

yesterday's data, or last month's data for price estimation.

8. Ability to Add Alternate/Multiple Email Addresses in “My Settings”.

Account owners often receive emails of rejections, new features, updates,

SEO’s would also like to be cc: included.

9. Pause Ads & Pause Keywords.

“Pausing” rather than deleting and then re-creating would simply make for

a smoother adCenter experience!

10. A Bubble with adCenter 800# & Email when an Error/Rejection Occurs.

The uninitiated may delete rejected keywords not realizing that an appeal is an option,

some cannot find the available support options.

Cheers…

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:38 PM
  •  KyleN wrote:

• Negative keywords at campaign level.

Kyle, they just released this feature. At the campaign level, hit "bulk edit" if you're on the screen that shows your campaigns. You can even add the same negs to multiple campaigns. If you want to put them at the adgroup level, you'll need to go to the adgroup settings tab and selected "advanced options". Haven't been able to find a way to duplicate negs to multiple adgroups though.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:52 PM
    • Excellent, thanks. Smile

Thursday, August 2, 2007 6:30 PM
    • When editing bids, I'd prefer to see the actual current traffic data rather than the estimated traffic data.  Estimated is helpful, but it seems rather inaccurate to me.  I typically base my bid adjustments on the actual data.  If this can be combined somehow, that would be most helpful.

I also agree with many of the other advertisers here about editing keywords.  It's extremely time-consuming to have to edit the first page of keywords, continue on to edit bids, save, then go back and do it all over again for the next page of keywords.  One of my campaigns has almost 20 pages of keywords!

Another thing I'd like to see - combination of Canadian campaigns with US campaigns.  I don't like how they're separated into their own campaigns.  I realize that keywords and ad text may be different, but I just want to see them organized better.
      Thursday, August 2, 2007 8:40 PM
    • Well, seems that everything is pretty much covered. Of particular interest

• Pause/Resume campaigns at will
      • Please make it easier to work (UI), it's only mentioned once (surprised) but working on keywords while not able to manage bidding is extremely time consuming
      • Yes, that filter needs work - the mere paging action (moving between pages) throws it off.

I guess the bottom line is that the more "power tool-ish" it gets, the better...less clicks, more stuff done....

I will apolgize in advance but as bad as it sounds, this is constructive criticism:

• someone should destroy that keyword filter that checks for relevance on some schedule...the only thing irrelevant with what it does...is what it does...which is somewhat funny, except that it affects campaigns.\

Finally, please integrate some analytics...what happened to DM? It would fit in nicely...

Friday, August 3, 2007 5:55 AM
    • Thanks everyone for your feedback! I have shared your comments with the adCenter development team, and these requests are under review for inclusion as features in upcoming releases. Once I have confirmation of ETA's of certain features, I will let you know.

In the meantime, NerdySEMChick - re: "Select All button when adding keywords so I don't have to check each match type individually.....especially if adding multiple keywords at one time" - this is possible today.

1. Go to the Keywords page.

2. Click the Show Match Types check-box.

3. Click the Bulk Edit link, slightly above the table of keywords to the left.

4. A drop-down menu called Column will appear that will allow you to choose different match types.

5. Select the keywords you're interested in either adding to or removing a match type from. To add, click the New value check-box, then click the Apply button. To remove, un-check the New value check-box to clear it, then click Apply.

6. Once you're done editing, click Continue to save all your changes.

I hope that helps - please let me know if you have any questions on this.

Again thank you all for your input and I will keep you posted on these features.

Please keep your feedback coming as we find it very helpful when planning future iterations of adCenter.

Thanks!

Carolyn

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 10:33 PM
    • To make our product better, I think maybe adCenter can help us on following points:

·         Synchronize ad object smartly

Each ad object should have a version number or timestamp to help us determine if we need to download/upload and how to merge data in a smarter way

·         High performance API

Batch processing support etc.

Note: As I recalled, adCenter’s Enzo is what I’m talking about.

·         L10n support

It seems campaign’s timezone is useless for now. Also, currently adCenter doesn’t allow us to show bid amount in various currency codes.

·         Provide account create date

This way, we can determine the start date to download report data for the first time.

·         Meta data support

Provide several APIs to return meta data for each ad object.

This will help us to keep our product consistent with adCenter with minimal modifications.

I hope we can eliminate or reduce following works:

1)      Change ad object’s type name

We have changed ‘Order’ to ‘Ad Group’ several month before.

2)      Change validation rules

We haven’t did this before. But it’s better if we can get validation information via API.

Monday, August 13, 2007 9:51 AM
    • Hey Carolyn,

I have been gone for a while, have I missed the window for this or can I still put my Dear Santa list together?  My number one item would be the magic make me a million dollars button!

Smile dave.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:56 PM
    • Hi Dave,

Glad you're back! You're not too late to let us know your requests. Bring 'em on.

I'll check with the dev team on the million dollar button but...no guarantees.

Thanks!!

Carolyn

Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:46 PM
    • Here are my top requests.  I have been gone for a couple months so please forgive me if any AdCenter changes have been made to enhance/correct these while I was gone.  As a note I went through my posts and pulled some out of those as well, so if you are using the ones in the forums you might have some doubles from me.  My most wanted item is number one, least is number 10, but I want them all!  Smile

1. Rejection Management Center. - I have found this to be one of the most frustrating items in using AdCenter.  Once I started running multiple campaigns with hundreds of keyword combinations and the rejection emails started coming it was horrible to try and figure out what was what.  Then the emails and what I was seeing in AdCenter didn't jive, words in AdCenter were showing approved with hit data, yet the emails said they were rejected.  Then ones which I got approved, finally, ended up getting rejected again and again every time I made a change to the campaign.  Along with this I would like to see an automated checker which tells me as I am setting up a campaign that I have rejected words, not days or even weeks afterwards.  There has to be a better way within the AdCenter tool itself to manage this.

2. Broaden the Keyword Criteria. - For me, the majority of search engine marketing I do is marketing someone else's site and making an affiliate commission off any sales I send their way.   In setting up a campaign I will target all kinds of keyword combos some of which might not be listed on the page I am sending people to.  As an example I was running a campaign for Smoothie Recipes.  One of the keywords I was using was "Healthy Snack Idea".  These words were not part of the text of the page I was using as my target url, but it was a valid keyword match for my campaign.  Things like this shouldn't be rejected based on some automated relevance checker - that is so bogus!  I can understand trademarks and things like that, but if I want to bid on the keywords "Healthy Snack Idea" I should be able to use any target url I want.

3. Better documentation and help files. - Better yet, how about online training videos or virtual server training sessions.  These are popping up all over the place and Microsoft is already doing a bunch for other products.  If you want to see some of the coolest examples on the web, take a look at what Microsoft has for BizTalk.  Step by step training in which you actually fire up a BizTalk server in Redmond and use it until your session is done.  Yeah baby!  All in all I think the help files need some major improvement.

4. Increase the Mentor Program. - I am not sure that is what you called it, but it is the program when you first start up you get help for a little while from a Microsoft AdCenter person.  I would like to see this expanded from the generic version it is today to a much more in-depth and hands on partnering.  I got some useful stuff from my rep, but it was all just canned things.  What I really wanted when I first started was something like a WebX session where we are logged on together sharing how to do things, troubleshooting issues, and having the rep know in-depth what I am trying to achieve and helping me get there.  The more successful we are as users of AdCenter, the more successful AdCenter and Microsoft will be.

5. Better keyword & Ad controls. - I would like to be able to pause keywords & ads.  Also, I would like to be able to transfer keywords and Ads and the data which they have acquired to other campaigns.  Right now for either of these items your only option is delete.  If you delete your click history is gone and you have to start fresh.  You are limited in editing one page of keywords at a time, and you have to go to a separate page to edit ads.  How about taking a page out of the Google playbook and put all of these on one screen, even allowing me to expand my keyword list to display them all if I want.  Now being you are on Windows boxes and not the screaming streamline Linux ones Google uses there might be a performance issue, but just in case the new gui free version of Longhorn can handle it, it might be worth giving a try, hehehe.

6. Keyword Reporting tools. - If you really want to dominate the search engine ad market make some keyword reporting tools that give us all kinds of data!  The ability to sort and customize the data, pull in data through other search engines api's etc.  Right now when I am doing keyword research I use a whole bunch of tools, as I bet many others do as well.  I want to see trends, competition, placement, bids, products, sites, related categories, related keywords, hot campaigns, failing campaigns and I spend a lot of time doing research before I ever start running a campaign.  The first place I start is in AdCenter.  So far they have the best keyword generator and they make it easy to create campaigns from that list.  Its kind of like that Kevin Costner movie, "Built it and they will come!"

7. The Export/Import tools. - If you export your keywords to Excel using the tool, make some changes, you can't import them back in using the same spreadsheet.  You have to use the template for imports.  Also, on the imports you can't have a blank or a zero bid.  How do I import if I only want my keyword "Healthy Snack Idea" bid as the exact match?  This one may already be resolved, I haven't tested it in a while.

8. Match on Plurals. - AdCenter DOESN’T match on plurals?  Example I have “Low Calorie Recipe” as a keyword and someone types in “Low Calorie Recipes” that is NOT a match and my ad will NOT display.  I think this is what is happening and I have started adding plurals into my keywords.  This would be true for either the exact or phrased matches.  It might display using the broad match for Low and Calorie, but I rarely will ever use broad match.  How about a param where we can turn on and off plural matches at the keyword level?  hehe, am I in wonderland?

9. Param Capitalization. - When using the {keyword}, {param1} or {param2} the text displays exactly how you typed it in.  Example using keyword “low calorie recipe” and the {keyword} param in my title my ad title would display as  low calorie recipe  not  Low Calorie Recipe  Again, this is what I am seeing so I wanted to be sure I was correct.  This might be a future enhancement to the product to add a toggle so we can have our params display using Title Case.

10. Keyword Mutation Tool. - I thought is was a tool to find common misspellings of a word, however it looks like it is using some logic to give the synonyms, common misspelling and related forms.  Here is an example:

Word typed in: home
      Response:
      homw
      houe
      hom
      homr
      house
      hosue

I think this is a good thing, however, it might be nice to break these apart into their respective groups, such as this.

Common Misspellings:
      homw
      hom
      homr

Synonyms and their common misspellings:
      house
      houe
      hosue

Also a group for related forms:

Word typed in: protection

It returns back related forms:
      protections
      protecting

Friday, August 17, 2007 8:23 PM
    • Hi everyone,

I just wanted to check in here and let you know that some of your feature requests are now live with our latest release over the weekend. These include:

• Ability to make multiple keyword changes without having to go back and forth to edit bids
      • Show actual data instead of estimated data
      • Ability to make changes to campaign settings without having to increase budget if it's close to depletion
      • Copy ad group
      • Keep table sort settings

We're also working to improve the speed at which your campaigns go live, and you should find faster editorial review for new ad groups. We know that in general, editorial is a top issue for you and we're really focused on that right now. 

A couple of other updates: an offline tool is in development - I don't have an ETA on this but the team is working hard on this project because we know how important this is to you.

"Bulk submit option after importing campaign" and "daily spend budget" option - these are coming soon and once the dates are locked I will let you know.

If I haven't mentioned your specific request in this post, that doesn't mean that it's not under consideration - I'm working with the team to go through and vet these.

If you want a review of all the new features, we have a Feature Release Guide - also keep your eye on the blog as I'll be posting feature reviews over the next week and a half.

Please keep your feedback, requests and ideas coming - we love hearing from you and it's really helpful as we plan out the evolution of adCenter. And let us know what you think of these new features too.

Thanks!

Carolyn

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:36 PM
    • Hi Carolyn,

A couple of feature requests for your next release:

*Desktop tool for downloading, editing, & uploading AdCenter data to/from local machine because of timeouts. (Looks like
      from above you are working on it). Demographic targeting options needed in tool.

*Adcenter Publisher's xml feed.  To place MSN search results & Adcenter ads on publishers' sites. Publisher can toggle # of Live.com results needed per query. 
      This is an easy way for MSN to expand MSN search market share %age quickly with very little work.

*Landing page optimizer- multivariate.

Thanks!

Smile
      Monday, September 24, 2007 7:17 PM
    • Just one comment... if you copy an ad group's ads to another ad group, any edit to the ad will change every adgroup with that copied ad. Which doesn't make sense if later you want to tweak one adgroup.

• I think the biggest thing for me now is needing the ability to pause single keywords and ads, not just adgroups and campaigns.
      • I would like the ability to display ads 50/50 for ad testing. It's too much of a hassle to set up multiple campaigns/adgroups to set this up.

These two are big ones and I am a bit surprised that they are not part of the system.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:50 PM
    • Here's some more....and a repeat request (#2)

• Ability to pause keywords and ads
      • Still no "totals and averages" line!!! So frustrating! *sigh*
      • Add more options to the "show performance data for..." drop down. Add a calendar, let us choose dates.
      • Ability to easily move keywords and ads from one adgroup or campaign to another -- and have keyword history follow.
      • I'm with others on better "Rejection" management. You have our email address...use it to let us know we've been rejected and why.
      • A much easier way to import google bulk sheets without having to create a report, removing columns, messing around with visual basic editor, etc. KISS!!!! (keep it simple!). Yahoo's import/conversion of a google bulk sheet into their format is awesome and saves me so much time.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:55 PM
    • Melissa,

I have to say that I agree with you. That would be a wonderful Idea!

Monday, November 12, 2007 11:04 PM
    • Hi everyone,

I just wanted to check in on this thread and let you know that in the past couple weeks, we've released some of the features that you've asked for here...

Pausing keywords and ads, and an offline desktop tool, among other features, are on their way, no ETA yet. Please keep your thoughts and ideas coming -- your feedback is valuable to us as we're constantly going through requests as we plan out the future of adCenter.

Thanks,

Carolyn

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:54 AM
    • Hi,
      Carolyn.

This is anil, i would like  to share about our product, it is an online drivers education in us, so can u give me any suggestions for this product.

thanks,
      Anil.
      Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:45 AM
    • i would like to see when you use windows media player that you can listen to ipod at same time with out having to use itunes!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, January 5, 2008 1:26 AM
    • For me, definitely the ability to see which ad was clicked, what product or item was sold to produce conversion, cost of sale and confirmed payment...all on one graph.

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:07 AM
    • Hi Carolyn,

I've a couple of request to make (I'll likely have more in the future, but these are what're jumping out at me every day).

1. More options in the "See Performance Data For" drop down, especially a way of setting custom dates. I'm really frustrated because I'm still at the point of tweaking my bids daily, and if I miss a day or two, then I can't see the data for those dates - instead, I can either see the data from yesterday or this month, but there's no way of narrowing from there, which means I'm kind of stuck with either re-tweaking some bids (if I select the "this month" option) or just tweaking the previous day's bids (if I select the "yesterday" option).

2. When changing the bids on Ad Groups within a campaign, it would be easier to have a "Move to the next campaign" option rather than having to back out to the Campaign level. When I'm adjusting the bids on various Group within the same campaign, it's annoying to have to go back to the Campaign level and then try to recall which Group I've just adjusted and what I haven't yet modified.

Thank you,     Laura Dee
      Thursday, January 17, 2008 11:27 PM
    • Yeap Thanks a lot for the info.
      Wish you all the best. And hopefully we'll have a campaign management software soon.

Mick
      PPC Optimization Tips
      Saturday, April 19, 2008 8:54 AM