BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Has there been information posted that states when support for WHS 2011 is
    over, 2016?

Don

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by Ken Warren Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:36 AM
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 12:32 AM
  • Thanks, there were some other dates that I have seen.

Sunday, August 12, 2012 4:39 AM
  • There is a 2025 date floating around for embedded. 

"Q: How long will customers be able to purchase Windows Home Server 2011?

A: Windows Home Server 2011 will remain available as an OEM embedded product until December 31, 2025, and will remain available in all other current channels until December 31, 2013."

That comes from the Windows Server 2012 Essentials FAQ.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/0/8/80882EEE-96E1-486F-889D-6C0ACFCC1E42/Windows_Server_2012_Essentials_FAQ.pdf

However, has anyone ever seen a WHS 2011 embedded product, whatever that is?

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 4:48 AM
  • That is why I asked the question, how long will this be useable, when do I need to start planning other processes or systems. At this time I just don�??t have the extra money to go to Essentials.

Don
    Monday, August 13, 2012 11:21 PM
  • I would assume that the 2025 date is a typo. 2016 is EOL for the product, per the support roadmap, and even Microsoft won't sell a product that they won't support.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:07 PM
  • Funny, the lifecycle support information for WHS 2011 and WHS now seems to have gone missing from Microsoft's lifecycle support database. I trust that this is just a temporary glitch, and not something more ominous?

We're still looking at April 2016 as the end of mainstream support, right?

Friday, April 19, 2013 11:19 AM
  • Funny, the lifecycle support information for WHS 2011 and WHS now seems to have gone missing from Microsoft's lifecycle support database. I trust that this is just a temporary glitch, and not something more ominous?

We're still looking at April 2016 as the end of mainstream support, right?

V1 is probably gone because it's passed the end of it's support cycle. Windows Home Server 2011 is effectively the same as Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials; per that product's lifecycle support will end in October of 2014. Don't look for any future Home Server specific updates, however, since Windows Home Server 2011, Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials, and Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials are all the same thing under the hood (more or less), you can expect updates only for the entire product family.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Proposed as answer by GaPazz Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:33 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 4:06 PM
  • Ah, I see, MS has then chopped 18 months from the original date of April 2016. No wonder that they've pulled it from the database. Hoping that none of us would notice, I expect.

Monday, April 22, 2013 4:39 PM
  • The extended support for Windows Storage Server 2008 r2 essentials is 10/8/2019

What is extended support?

Q: So what is the difference between Mainstream and Extended Support?

Think of Mainstream support as “normal”. In other words, mainstream support means Microsoft supports a product with its full offerings including paid incident support, hotfix support, security updates, etc.

When a product enters the Extended Support “phase”, the game changes:

1) We still provide security updates at no charge to all customers

2) You can still call CSS or create a case online per the normal support offerings (pay per incident, Premier, etc)

But…you cannot obtain a non-security hotfix from Microsoft for no charge. In order to obtain a non-security hotfix, you must purchase an Extended Hotfix Support Agreement. Extended Hotfix Support Agreements are available for Premier customers. Contact your Technical Account Manager for more information.

Since WSSE 2008 r2 is the same base code as WHS 2011 all the security patches for WSSE 2008 r2 should work for WHS 2011, which will be provided through 10/8/2019

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:36 PM