MSF or Groove RRS feed

• Question

•  

Evening all, quick question regarding an approach to support off-line working. We have a requirement to provide financial information off-line and then sync updates when connected over available protocols. It has been suggested that we look at Groove and use the data bridge and either groove forms or infopath forms. I have reservations over this as whilst it appears groove is capable of this, there is nothing to indicate scalability of solution or even someone who has implemented this particular type of solution.

MSF to me offers a suitable alternative which appears to be easier, quicker to implement, more scalable and importantly more appropriate to line of business data.

Would appreciate people's thoughts on this.

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:20 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Caerportis,

I first have to caveat my response with the fact that I have never tried to use Groove for this type of implementation so I can not comment on its ability to support this type of scenario.

I can comment about the Microsoft Sync Framework and its ability to support this type of scenario. 

Firstly, you are correct that the Microsoft Sync Framework is a very scalable and easy to implement solution for offline data access. 

Can you tell me a little more about where this financial data is coming from?  For example is it coming from SQL Server or perhaps from other system such as an ERP system? 

If it is coming from a relational database then I would suggest you might want to take a closer look at Sync Services for ADO.NET which is a component of the Microsoft Sync Framework targetted at offline and collaboration between relational databases. 

I hope that helps,

Liam

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:03 AM