Laptop Client - Install Fails, Cannot Recognize Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 on my XP SP2 laptop w/out uninstalling MSCRM 3.0. Went thru manual install as recommended in MS KB and ran MS CRM Laptop Client (Rollup 1). All environment checks went OK except one. Here's what is in the log:

13:49:02|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EDW.Framework.SNGBuilder.ProcessSubstitutions
    13:49:02|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EDW.Framework.EDWTool.RunSnifferValidate Microsoft Outlook®
    13:49:02|Verbose| Calling BaseGroup.Validate
    13:49:02|  Error| CRegKey: Open failed.(error = 5) (util.cpp:GetRegKeyValue:236).
    13:49:02|  Error| Check OutlookInstallationValidator : Failure: Setup failed to determine whether a supported version of Microsoft Outlook is installed.

Also noted CRM menu is still in Outlook. Can't seem to remove this and wonder if it has any bearing on the setup failure?

Tried "repairing" Office 2007 and rebooting. Same failure.

Looked thru forums but found no resolution.

What is the registry key Setup is looking for??!!!

Can anyone be kind enough to help me before I tear all of my hair out?

Thanks

PeWo

Friday, June 22, 2007 4:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you are running Office 2007 the 'orginal' Oulook Client Installation will not work - you need to install the V3.0c (C for compatability) client.

So I suggest you completely uninstall your current CRM Outlook client and clean up - uninstall MSDE; delete program files/crm folder etc.

Then download and install the v3.0 c client  - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=740e1b3b-11c3-4aef-b2e3-8309e0cf1bb0&DisplayLang=en

PS - you will not need to install the Client Update rollup 1 as it is included

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:00 AM
  • Hi Guy,

Thanks for suggestions. What I did was to downgrade back to Office 2003 and use older version of v3.0 client. Ran into same errors even after uninstalling Outlook, CRM components etc. Googled an entry asking to make changes to registry to bypass Outlook version checking. CRM now works (generally)!

PeWo

Friday, July 6, 2007 4:37 AM
  • Can you explain your solution to the problem (bypass outlook version check)? Unfortunately I'm experiencing the same, but I have no solution at all!

I tried with Outlook 2003 and 2007...repairing, uninstalling,...

Thanks,

Michele

Monday, November 26, 2007 9:59 AM
  • Hi,

I'm also having Outlook Client Installation issues.  I have Outlook 2007 and when I try to install the CRM Outlook Client, I get a failure that states that a previous user of my (company) laptop already has a version of the CRM Outlook Client installed.  That user is not in the user's directory.  I removed all references to that user in file folder.  I think the only thing missing is removing any references to the program in the registry.  Does anyone know how to remove all references to the CRM Outlook Client on the laptop so I can begin a new install?

Best regards,

Jeremiah

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:09 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem but it is with the first installation of the CRM client.

I use the 3.0c version installer and everything is OK, except Outlook wich version is not recognized.

Office 2007 is installed on this computer and the repair and dagnostics havent change something.

Have you a solution to correct this problem ? A register key to modify ? A DLL ?

Thanks by advance !

Cordially,

Mayoaurel

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:59 AM
  • Hello,

I didn't try it yet, but:

I think this is the registry key CRM is searching for.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\<version>\Outlook\
    Note In this registry key, <version> is a placeholder for the version of Outlook that you are using. For Outlook 2003, the version number is 11.0. For Outlook 2007, the version number is 12.0. The version number will increase in later versions of Outlook.

I think if in the registry there are multiple versions (probably due to upgrades), this creates a problem in understanding the actual version. I have a 8.0 key + 11.0 + 12.0......

I also link the pages I found with registry infos, I hope it will help.

Michele

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907985/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317819/en-us

• Proposed as answer by Michele Fini Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:07 PM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:32 PM