Bills get duplicated when I change to sort by payee name RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed a strange thing with bills summary list. I normally have the list sorted by due date and there is no problem but I noticed when I changed to sort by payee name some bills appeared twice. The same bill but it appeared twice. If I deleted one of the instances then both instances disappeared. So I deleted and re-entered the problem bills from scratch and the problem no longer exists. Can anyone explain why this happened?
    Wednesday, August 29, 2018 11:29 AM

All replies

• Which version of MS Money?
    Wednesday, August 29, 2018 2:14 PM
  • Money 2005 UK. Version 14.0.120.1105. Been using this version and previous UK versions for many years and never noticed this strange behavior where bills are duplicated when sorted by payee name. I found two bills were duplicated but having deleted them and re inputted them this has overcome the problem. I first tried a standard repair but that did not fix the problem. Any ideas why this happened?
    Wednesday, August 29, 2018 3:59 PM
  • Next time something anomalous occurs, try a quick file repair.  File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair

That may not have helped, but it is worth a try.

Also, when you said you did a standard file repair, you did not say whether you did level 1 or level 2. Level 2 is more extensive.

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:49 PM
  • With MS Money 2005 open I clicked File/Repair Money File/Standard File Repair and used the wizard provided, browsing to my money file and giving the repaired file a new name in the same folder. I selected standard level 2 rather than quick level 1. I then deleted the original money file and changed the name of the new repaired file to be the same as the original file then restarted money.

I did notice that after doing the repair when I clicked to view the report it gave a message that it could not find the report file? It said did I want to create a new report file , yes or no but whatever I clicked did not reveal the report.

The new repaired file was considerably larger than the original version at over 100 MB but after opening and closing money with the file it reverted to its normal smaller size of about 70MB.

Anyhow after doing this repair the erroneous duplicated bills when sorted by payee name were still there. Sorting by date there was no duplication only when sorting by payee name. I have never seen this problem before so do you think it is fixed now that I have deleted the bills which were duplicated and reinputed them?

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 7:11 PM
  •  I have never seen this problem before so do you think it is fixed now that I have deleted the bills which were duplicated and reinputed them?

I have no clue.

Now if you had asked how to keep multiple vintages of backup file with Microsoft Money 2005, I think there would be several people who could help with that.

Friday, August 31, 2018 9:58 PM
  • It has been a few days now since I noticed this strange behaviour and, after deleting the bills which were duplicated and reinputing them, the problem does seem to have been fixed.

I do have loads of old backups of my money file but would not relish the idea of finding an old backup which predated the problem and then updating all the various account transactions that have occurred since the date of the backup and closing accounts which have been closed and adding new ones and adding share prices and share transactions. That would be hard work but could be necessary if something went seriously wrong with my file so I do diligently keep backing up once a week.

Sunday, September 2, 2018 9:05 PM