WHS 2011 - The task you are trying to do can't be completed because Remote Desktop Services is Currently Busy RRS feed

• Question

• Getting this error with a new WHS 2011 install. Server is a 3.2Ghz core i7 with 12GB RAM (although crippled to 8GB by WHS) Gigabyte X58 with 5Tb RAID 0 disks. Server lives in the garage on a Gbit LAN and I use Remote Desktop from my Windows 7 (32Bit) PC.

Everything worked perfectly for two weeks, leaving a logged on session on the WHS server running NewsLeecher. Click X to disconnect, and reconnecting later. Yesterday installed Xilasoft to run avi file conversions on 2,000 videos so heavy processing. Initial remote session runs fine - until I disconnect - and then on trying to reconnect I get the error "The task you are trying to do can't be completed because Remote Desktop Services is Currently Busy. Please try again in a few minutes. Other users should still be able to logon".

Once in this state trying to login at the console gives the same error, and trying to logon as another user gives just a blue promptless logon screen. The only way to get back on the server is with a hard reboot, although file shares still work (just as quick as usual) and Newsleecher still appears to be downloading.

The only difference I can see if that CPU utilisation is very high with the video encoding load. I was able to logon on the console earlier today without a hard reboot, once the current batch of encoding had finished. I will be testing a remote logon in a while (no idea when the current batch will have completed!) to see if this wroks too.

I have tried reducing the priority of the transcoder to low to see if it made any difference and it didn't. Next I will try limiting the transcoder to fewer cores. If I run the server without the transcoder then everything works fine but sadly that is what I built the server for.

Having tried several client machines I'm pretty sure the problem is related to server load. Applying the update 2383928 didn;t help as it wouldn;t install on WHS.

Anyone got similar issues on WHS 2011?

Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:17 PM

All replies

• Just finished testing and yep, high server load (CPU over 80%) stops remote desktop connections with the error above.

So will investigate with Xilisoft if I can "slow down" the encoder (have tried reducing priority in Windows), and hopefully Microsoft will find out why a heavy user task should disable a key server task?

Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Remember that WHS (or indeed any Server) is not designed to do what you are doing with it. I would not hold your breath waiting for a "fix" from Microsoft. Equally, there is hardly any need for more than 4GB of RAM for its intended purpose - consequently "crippled" does not seem like an appropriate description. You might have been better off using W7?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Cheers Phil, I did get WHS 2011 after years of using the 2003 version for the some purpose and had no problems until 2011.

The old 2003 WHS was fantastic by comparison to this new attempt by Microsoft - no bugs, worked every time, light on system resources, solid as a rock. The new version is a puzzle; a 2Tb disk limit (i.e. a SINGLE NEW HARD DRIVE!) no drive extender, client software that only installs successfully on 2 out of 9 machines with cryptic errors on the others (given up now), and 64bit code with only 8Gb RAM support. If it can't run Windows software without grinding to a halt then I'll go with one of the Linux options and at least have a reliable server.

I have to use a *better* media server than the one bundled with WHS to support my Sony DVD player (the Windows Media DNLA server isn't compatible). It is also extremely handy to have transcoding and multiple category tags for media files.

What I'm trying to do also does work fine now for a week before locking up, so I imagine its a resource leak somewhere. It's super-noticeable that remote desktop is lightning fast just after a reboot, and progressively gets slower until it stops. Perhaps as the client software, silly backup limit, media server and data storage are no longer worth the effort, I should abandon WHS 2011 and just go 2008 Standard and at least get all my RAM working.

Friday, August 5, 2011 9:20 PM
  • I'm actually seeing the same behavior on an i3-2100T 8GB, after a few days I can't RDP into the server with the same error, except I'm not doing -anything- CPU intensive on the machine.
    Jared Tomlinson - Information Technologist, SeaWorld Family of Parks
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:39 PM
  • I'm actually seeing the same behavior on an i3-2100T 8GB, after a few days I can't RDP into the server with the same error, except I'm not doing -anything- CPU intensive on the machine.
    Jared Tomlinson - Information Technologist, SeaWorld Family of Parks

Jared, please bug this on Connect. Lots of detail, server logs if possible (maybe two sets, one just after reboot and one when RDP is really slow). I don't see this error, but my server doesn't have 8 GB of memory and I suspect it's a resource issue of some sort that's tied to larger memory.

Way off topic, answer in private email if you'd prefer (see my profile for address and instructions): Because I honestly can't remember, I'll ask which huge conglomerate SeaWorld is associated with...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:19 PM
  • Hi, Jared,

We have published a RWA configuration guidance, hope that will help future deployment prep works:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6666.remote-web-access-deployment-guide-for-small-business-server-2011-essentials-home-server-2011-and-windows-storage-server-2008-r2-essentials.aspx

At the same time, if you have quesion not covered in the above document, you can file a connect bug.

Please download the WSSG Log Collector for log collecting, http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=27567

Thanks,

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Ning Kuang[MSFT] Windows HSBS Program Manager
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Dear all,

did anyone find a soltion for this issue?

I have the same problem. WHS 2011, try to connect via RDP, .... server busy.

I had a look to this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/da-DK/w7itpronetworking/thread/85fe1006-0a28-45fa-a37c-c6ce481c3454

in which they referred to a Microsoft-KB-Hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2383928

The Hotfix seemed to be the solution...but "this hotfix is not suitable for your system". I'm using WHS 2011 (Vail). The Hotfix is for Win Server 2008 R2 and Win7 64 bit....WHY???

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:49 PM