none
SyncToy 2.0 not catching changes in encrypted files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've been using synctoy 2.0 for about a month and noticed an odd behaviour that I can't find references to on the web. I have a folder pair and inside the source there is an encrypted file created with truecrypt, just under 500MB (for those familiar with truecrypt it's a directory, appears as a single file). If I make any change in it, save it, unmount the encrypted file and do a sync then synctoy does not recognize that a change was done and does not sync that file. I would have thought it would pick up the change in file size. Has anyone else seen this?
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:21 PM

Answers

• This is not an issue with SyncToy but a security feature of the excellent trueCrypt. Even though you have updated the trueCrypt container file with new content, TrueCrypt has not updated the date time of the file to "pretend" the file has not been touched and thus make it harder to detect.

This behaviour is configurable in TrueCrypt: Menu: Settings / Preference - Just uncheck the option "Preserve timestamp of file containers".

Re-mount your container, update the content, unmount and Sync. It should work fine.

PS: TrueCrypt containers do not change in size.

Thursday, March 5, 2009 8:03 PM