Edit an attachment (Word Document) from an activty note RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

Last week I have encountered a problem in CRM 4.0 .
    I was working with the mail merge function. For a client I`ve created several templates such as standard letters.
    Works all super fantastic. I can add mutliple records to a mail merge. After I`ve created a mail merge I want to make an activity of the mail merge. As wished an activity is created, in notes tab an attachment of my mail merge is created.
    My client would then like to edit the attachment and save the changes back to the note.

Here is where the problem starts:
    Once the document has changed and the save button is pressed the following error occurs:

“ Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error. <path/filename.extension> ”

I've tested this problem for myself on the following settings:
    MS VPC with W2003Server (Downloaded from: Microsoft Downloads Center)
    No firewall or AV is installed or whatsoever.
    I'm using the Outlook Client as well the web-based Client.
    Office 2007
    On the VPC we've all administrator rights (For W2003Server aswell for CRM 4.0 Outlook Client & web-based Client).

I've search almost every related forum for this problem. But all the problems are in relation with Vista, Older Offices, Acer - Live One Care and AV issues and not with CRM.

(Also I noticed that the problem is still not solved just for Word tasks)

I've argued with my colleagues and we think that the problem is that Word cannot make a connection back to CRM. Which provides the error.
    Can someone confirm this problem or if this is not the case give us a solution.

I hope you guys can help us, if you need more information, be my guest :-)

PS:
    If useable:

VPC Specs:
    RAM: 1200MB

HostPC Specs:
    Intel Core2Duo 6600 @ 2.40Ghz
    RAM 3GB

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Joey, I'm pretty sure that editing a CRM-attached file is not a supported feature. Attached files are stored in the MSCRM database (unlike some CRM systems which store them in a folder on the CRM server) and there is no direct connection from the user's PC back to the database server that would allow the user to save the edited file easily. To achieve your requirement you would need to open the attached file, edit it, save it locally, attach it to CRM and then delete the previous version (lots and lots of clicks!).

You might be better to use SharePoint as a document management system and integrate it with CRM. I'm pretty sure that SharePoint supports in situ editing of files.

Regards, Neil
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Joey, I'm pretty sure that editing a CRM-attached file is not a supported feature. Attached files are stored in the MSCRM database (unlike some CRM systems which store them in a folder on the CRM server) and there is no direct connection from the user's PC back to the database server that would allow the user to save the edited file easily. To achieve your requirement you would need to open the attached file, edit it, save it locally, attach it to CRM and then delete the previous version (lots and lots of clicks!).

You might be better to use SharePoint as a document management system and integrate it with CRM. I'm pretty sure that SharePoint supports in situ editing of files.

Regards, Neil
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:17 PM
  • Thans Neil,

We are working on your solution.
    I'll let you know if it works.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:03 AM