Windows Home Server was unable to update Windows Live Custom Domains with your current IP address RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone have any idea why I am receiving this error?  Everything was fine before the server was restarted.  Now I am receiving this error and I cannot figure out why.  I have an internet connection as I am posting to this board from within my network and I still have the error.  Is the problem on my end or is it temporarily with Microsoft?  This has happened once before to me but the problem corrected itself after a few hours which led me to believe it was on Microsoft's end.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    same situation here. You are right, the problem is located on Microsofts end.
    As a workaround you can configure a dyndns.org domain or a similar dynamic DNS account in your router (if the router supports this feature).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:40 PM
  • Thank you.  I am glad to hear that the problem is not on my end.  I made no changes so I could not figure out why it would be on my end.  I have the system configured to e-mail me when there is a problem and I have noticed that it seems to error and then correct itself and then error out some time later.  I hope microsoft can resolve this issue soon. 
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:44 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. :(
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:13 PM
  • This happens to me everytime my ISP changes the IP address my account uses out on the internet.

This usually happens without you being aware of it, unless you have setup your ISP account to have a static IP, which is an extra $COST$.  I'm not referring to the IP address of your machine, I'm referring to the IP address out on the internet your account uses to send and receive data to the internet.

You can see your current external IP address by looking at http://whatismyipaddress.com/

The windows live custom domain knows you at IP address X, and your ISP changes that to IP address Y. (For my ISP, it changes every week or so).  Your ISP doesn't tell you, you don't care, but nobody tells the windows live custom domain your IP has changed either.

For me a reboot usually fixes the problem.  Don't know why WHS can't periodically transact with live custom domain, and figure this out and fix it.

That's what I'm seeing anyway.

DDarwin

Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Ok. Let me explain to you how Dynamic DNS works. Windows Live Custom Domains is part of the Windows Home Server "OS". It is also a Dynamic DNS provider run (obviously) by Microsoft. This allows you to go to <custom_name_here>.homeserver.com instead of trying to remember the ip address (i.e. 123.456.789.012). By default, WHS will check your public IP every 15 minutes. If there is a change, it notifies Windows Live Custom Domains of the change and the DNS record is updated. The only time you wouldn't be able to access your Home Server is that very small windows of UP TO 15 minutes; but more than likely less than that.

My Windows Home Server runs 24x7x365. The only time it is rebooted is after an update that requires a reboot or I am manually tweaking something (not recommended for the average user). You shouldn't have to reboot every time your public IP changes. We should also be able to press the Refresh button in the WHS console and it would update.

What we're all saying here in this thread is that something must be up at Windows Live Custom Domains.
    • Edited by safesax2002 Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:42 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:40 PM
  • clc4912 said:

Anyone have any idea why I am receiving this error?  Everything was fine before the server was restarted.  Now I am receiving this error and I cannot figure out why.  I have an internet connection as I am posting to this board from within my network and I still have the error.  Is the problem on my end or is it temporarily with Microsoft?  This has happened once before to me but the problem corrected itself after a few hours which led me to believe it was on Microsoft's end.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

There is an outage in the Homeserver Dynamic DNS service.  They are currently troubleshooting the issue and working to get this back online.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    • Proposed as answer by safesax2002 Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:00 PM
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:59 PM
  • looks like it's working now
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:24 PM