Why communication fails between two LCS pools in the same domain? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

Scenario:

I have two LCS 2005 w/ SP1 enterprise pools in the same forest/domain.  One has been pre-existing and the other one I just brought up recently.  Archiving and Federation works fine with both pools.  One Access Proxy is used for Federation and one back-end SQL server is used for archiving.  Each pool has its own back-end SQL server.  TLS/5061 works fine internally with certificates issued from internal CA.  TLS/5061 also works fine with federated users using a public certificate.  I am able to move users between the two pools in AD with no problems.  Communication between the two pools, the AP and the archiving server appears to be fluent.

Here is the issue:

Users in the old pool can see users in the new pool and initiate IM sessions with no problem.  Users in the new pool can reply with no problem.  Users in the new pool can only see (and IM with) federated users (AOL, etc) but they cannot see users in the old pool (or they appear as Offline).   In other words, users in the new pool cannot get presentation status or initiate IM sessions with users in the old pool.  Users in the old pool can see presentation status of new users and initiate IM sessions with no problem.

I have a feeling I am missing something simple here but I just can't see it.

I would appreciate any ideas or hints.

Regards,
    Chris

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:51 PM

Answers

• I just wanted to make sure the resolution to this issue is posted:

My problem was that I was running LCS on the same box with SQL back-end.  Two different physical servers are required, at least for the Enterprise edition I am dealing with. 

Regards to all,
    Chris

• Marked as answer by StaggerWing Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:57 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:57 PM