WHS invalid partiton table RRS feed

• Question

• I have an installation of windows home server (OEM edition, if that matters) it has been work like a champ for 6-7 months. this evening when I went to access the shared folders they were not available. checked the server and it is sitting with a "invalid partition table" error. tried to see if there was a restore option by booting to the install disk and all it can give me is a new installation which I canceled. I know it was up and running last night but cannot say when it restarted or why "patch maybe". are there any tools or anyway to correct the partition table even from any of the otehr OS disks?
    Friday, May 14, 2010 1:18 AM

All replies

• If the exact text of the error message is "Invalid partition table" and it's displayed when the server attempts to reboot, then the error means one of two things if your primary disk is working. Either no partition is set as "Active" or more than one partition is set as active. It could also mean that your primary disk has failed and is completely inaccessible.

If the disk is okay and the active flag status is incorrect then you could fix this in a number of ways. If you have partitioning software that comes on a bootable CD (like Acronis Disk Director or equivalent) then you could boot the server from the CD and set the main WHS system partition as active. If you don't have access to partitioning software you can use the WHS client restore CD, which boots into Windows PE and has a copy of Vista Disk Management available. Boot your server from the CD and go to Disk Management Console. Right-click on the WHS system partition and choose "Mark Partition as Active".

When you boot from the client restore CD you will quickly find out if the primary disk is alive or dead. If dead, check the cable and connections.

Friday, May 14, 2010 12:29 PM