Restore Problem - cannot find NIC driver RRS feed

• Question

• I am doing a restore to my laptop.  Per the restore instructions, I have copied the drivers in the 'Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore' folder from a previous backup to my usb key.  I plug the usb key into the port and click 'install drivers'.  Then click 'scan'.  No network drivers are shown, only storage drivers.  Tried in every USB port same result.

Cannot connect to WHS, cannot continue.  What's up?

I know the laptop NIC port is working, I can still boot from current install and communicate through the NIC.
    The USB key is also working.

The original backup was done through wireless connection.

Need assistance.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:04 PM

Answers

• Mr. Brian said:

Vista - 64 bit

The restore environment created by the restore CD is 32-bit only.  Try downloading the 32-bit Vista driver for your NIC, copy it to the USB drive, then see if it works.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Brian Sunday, February 15, 2009 10:04 PM
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:59 PM

All replies

• Update -
    I have also confirmed that the NIC driver is located on the USB key.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Mr. Brian said:

I am doing a restore to my laptop.  Per the restore instructions, I have copied the drivers in the 'Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore' folder from a previous backup to my usb key.  I plug the usb key into the port and click 'install drivers'.  Then click 'scan'.  No network drivers are shown, only storage drivers.  Tried in every USB port same result.

Cannot connect to WHS, cannot continue.  What's up?

I know the laptop NIC port is working, I can still boot from current install and communicate through the NIC.
    The USB key is also working.

The original backup was done through wireless connection.

Need assistance.

What OS are you trying to restore (and is it 32-bit or 64-bit)?
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Vista - 64 bit
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Mr. Brian said:

Vista - 64 bit

The restore environment created by the restore CD is 32-bit only.  Try downloading the 32-bit Vista driver for your NIC, copy it to the USB drive, then see if it works.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, February 15, 2009 7:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Brian Sunday, February 15, 2009 10:04 PM
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:59 PM
  • You need not only to copy the downloaded Vista 32 Bit driver package, it needs to be extracted on the USB stick.
    If this also does not work, please check this FAQ.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 9:38 PM
  • 32 bit driver worked. 

Why isn't the 64 bit version supported?  No one supports - not even Microsoft.

Is there any plans to upgrade WHS to support 64-bit OS users?  Where can I suggest MS fix this deficiency?
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Windows Home Server supports Vista 64 Bit Clients since Power Pack 1.
    The problem - every current hardware used for the suppported client OS is at least 32 Bit compatible, but not each also supports 64 Bit. Also 32 Bit client OS are still the majority of installed OS. So the recovery environment is made on a 32 Bit platform to meet almost each users needs.
    If Microsoft would supply both environments, you would need not only a second recovery medium, but it would be more confusing for the average home user.
    Sure the situation is not ideal, but it is at least workable in the most situations. I am also sure, that Microsoft will go to support 64 Bit versions more smoothly in future versions of Windows Home Server.
    If you wish to make a suggestion, you can register at Connect and issue feedback (as outlined in the top posting in this forum).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:48 AM