Windows 7 Premium upgrade to professional from OEM, retail version RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I need to upgrade W.7 to W.7 professional to install some other software.

It seems like I can't install W.7 professional anymore since W.7 was phased out from Microsoft Store.

What are my options now?

As I see it, my only option left is:

a. buying retail version and use it's key with Windows Anytime Upgrade.

will it still work?

gene

Sunday, January 5, 2014 9:38 PM

Answers

• You would need to purchase a genuine Windows 7 Professional Retail Upgrade version and then use that product key for the Anytime Upgrade.  Please note that an OEM version will not work with Windows Anytime Upgrade.

Carey Frisch

Monday, January 6, 2014 2:50 AM

All replies

• If you want more features than you currently have in your existing edition of Windows 7, you can upgrade to another edition using Windows Anytime Upgrade. Pricing information for each edition of Windows 7 is available as part of the Windows Anytime Upgrade process.  You can also go to an electronics store to see prices and to buy a Windows Anytime Upgrade key.

Here's how to begin:

1. Open Windows Anytime Upgrade by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type anytime upgrade, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Anytime Upgrade.             

2. Follow the instructions on each page.

When the upgrade is complete, you will have a new edition of Windows 7  running on your computer.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, January 5, 2014 11:20 PM
  • Hello Carey,

i do not think upgrade to W.7 professional is available. Here is the message I get:

We are sorry: Windows Anytime upgrade is not available in your country for purchase and ....

it seems like only Win. 8 is available but I do not want to move to Win. 8.

Do you think I can buy retail W.7 and use key for Anytime Upgrade ?

gene

Monday, January 6, 2014 12:06 AM
  • You would need to purchase a genuine Windows 7 Professional Retail Upgrade version and then use that product key for the Anytime Upgrade.  Please note that an OEM version will not work with Windows Anytime Upgrade.

Carey Frisch

Monday, January 6, 2014 2:50 AM
  • Thank you Carey, this information will really help me.

gene

Monday, January 6, 2014 4:02 AM
  • 'Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade is no longer Available for Purchase'

Yes, you should be able to use either a normal Upgrade or a Full retail license with the Anytime Upgrade process - but please be very careful about where you purchase the software from - there are still a LOT of counterfeits out there (probably far more than legitimate copies).

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Monday, January 6, 2014 9:58 AM